Skip to content
Hull 10-27 Catalans

Catalans win their fifth Super League game of the season as Hull FC suffer back-to-back losses

Last updated: 05/17/21 23:15 pm

Hull FC tasted defeat in front of their returning supporters after a 27-10 loss to their four best prospects Catalans Dragons at the KCOM stadium.

Supporters have been allowed to return to stadiums – albeit in limited numbers – as part of the government’s roadmap to ease coronavirus restrictions.

A penalty each from James Maloney and Arthur Mourgue sandwiched a try from Mahe Fonua in a first half which saw both teams reduced to 12 players.

Maloney and home center Carlos Tuimavave were sentenced to professional fouls as the scores were locked at 4-4 at the break before Josh Reynolds put the hosts back forward with their first attack of the second half.

But tries from Sam Kasiano, Mike McMeeken and two from Tom Davies, in addition to Maloney’s goal, saw Steve McNamara’s side claim their fifth Super League victory of the season.

Hull 10-27 Catalans

Sam Tomkins in action with Andre Savelio and Josh Reynolds of Hull FC

It had been 431 days since Hull played one last home game with fans in attendance, although that game saw head coach Lee Radford being sacked immediately following a 38-4 loss to Warrington.

The roars of “Old Faithful” and “Come on, you Hull” echoed through the stadium as the 5,527 supporters who were lucky enough to secure tickets made their voices heard.

The home support applauded the first penalty decision which went in favor of Blacks and Whites, but was silenced in the fourth minute when Maloney landed a routine kick.

Hull fans made their voices heard once again when Maloney received a yellow card in the 13th minute and the hosts claimed the power play.

A quick move to the right saw Jake Connor pass to winger Fonua, who passed opposite number Fouad Yaha for the game’s first try.

However, the two teams were reduced to 12 each in the 21st minute when Tuimavave was ruled out of sins and Mourgue threw another penalty to reduce the score to 4-4.

Hull camped on the Catalans’ try line, but the French side held on until half-time to stay tied despite the closure of Fonua and Adam Swift.

But Hull didn’t have to wait long to regain the lead as Reynolds finished a nice break on the right edge with a minute from the restart.

Hull 10-27 Catalans

Josh Reynolds of Hull FC scores his second try

Tuimavave found space on the outside before finding Connor in support, who played in the Australian half-back to stand out unopposed for a 10-4 lead.

Benjamin Jullien was selected for the Catalans before McNamara’s side ended up equalizing in the 54th minute when Kasiano found space in Hull’s line to go through the posts.

Both teams pushed for the go-ahead score and it was the visitors who did, with McMeeken passing through the right corner 15 minutes from time to lead 16-10 and turn the fight around.

Five minutes later, Maloney added a drop-goal to make it a two-point advantage before Hull finished the game with 12 men after Chris Satae was sentenced for a high shot at the Catalans half-back at nine minutes from the end.

The French side added shine to the score as Davies raced in two late tries to seal two runs and keep in touch with early leaders Wigan and St Helens.


Source link