Hope Solo enters alcohol treatment and seeks to delay her Hall of Fame induction

Hope Solo has asked the National Football Hall of Fame to delay her induction while the former superstar goalkeeper voluntarily enters an inpatient alcohol treatment program.

Solo, whose accolades include a World Cup championship, two Olympic gold medals and two FIFA World Cup Golden Glove awards, said she was asking for the postponement in a statement posted on Twitter Friday. Her announcement follows Solo’s recent arrest in North Carolina in which she was charged with driving while intoxicated with her children in the car.

She was elected to the National Soccer Hall of Fame in January with an induction ceremony scheduled for May 21 in Frisco, Texas. Solo, 40, was arrested in Winston-Salem last month after she was found passed out while driving in a Walmart parking lot with the car still running and her children in the backseat, WBTW-TV reported.

“Right now my energies and focus are totally directed towards my health, healing and caring for my family,” Solo said on Twitter on Friday. “I want to thank the Hall of Fame for their support and for understanding my decision.”

Djorn Buchholz, Executive Director of the National Soccer Hall of Fame, reacted sympathetically, writing in a tweet: “We at @soccerhof fully support your @hopesolo decision and look forward to seeing you in 2023.”

Following the incident in North Carolina, she was charged with impaired driving, resisting arrest and child abuse.

Solo’s attorney, Rich Nichols, released a statement saying she was released after the incident and was home with her family. He added that “the story is more sympathetic than the initial accusations suggest, and that it eagerly awaits the opportunity to defend those accusations.”

Former American football superstar goalkeeper Hope Solo looks on during the FIFA Women’s World Cup match between Sweden and USA at Stade Oceane on June 20, 2019 in Le Havre, France.
Alex Grimm/Getty Images

Solo has been in trouble with the law before. In 2014, while playing for the Seattle Reign, she was arrested in Kirkland, Washington, for allegedly hitting her sister and nephew, according to Seattle weather. Police told the newspaper they could see injuries on Solo’s 17-year-old nephew and Solo’s sister. Solo was described by officers as “drunk and upset,” according to the newspaper.

But the charges were dropped four years later, with the prosecution citing witnesses who would not testify and saying the case was “unlikely to happen again”, according to KING-TV.

Solo was suspended from the U.S. Women’s National Team for 30 days in 2015, ESPN reports. The reason for the suspension was not specified, but it came after her husband, Seattle Seahawks tight end Jerramy Stevens, was arrested on charges of driving under the influence. Although Solo was not arrested, she reportedly did not reveal the incident to the team.

Solo’s soccer career ended in 2016. She then unsuccessfully tried to become president of American soccer and worked as a BBC analyst during the 2019 Women’s World Cup, according to the National Soccer Hall of Fame.

Newsweek contacted Solo’s attorney for comment.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button