Harvey Weinstein has been extradited to California to face new sexual assault charges, New York prison officials have said.
The former Hollywood producer was convicted and sentenced to 23 years in a New York prison last year for rape and sexual assault.
He is wanted to stand trial in Los Angeles, California, accused of allegedly assaulting five women between 2004 and 2013.
Los Angeles prosecutors had requested the transfer of the disgraced producer in July 2020, but this was delayed due to the COVID-19[female[feminine pandemic.
Weinstein Legal Team tried to block the extradition on health grounds and appealed the decision.
The 69-year-old suffered from heart, dental and back problems, but on June 15, Erie County Court Judge Kenneth Case dismissed his appeal, paving the way for Weinstein’s move west .
“This morning around 9:25 am, Mr. Harvey Weinstein was turned over to the proper authorities for transportation to the state of California by court order, “the New York Department of Corrections said in a statement.
The Los Angeles charges include forced rape, forced oral copulation, coercive sexual battery, and forceful sexual penetration.
If convicted, Weinstein could spend the rest of his life in prison.
His spokesperson, Judah Engelmayer, said: “We will fight to ensure that Harvey receives the medical care he needs and, of course, that he is treated fairly.
“Due process, the presumption of innocence and a fair trial are always his right.”
Weinstein is also attractive his conviction and sentence in New York and denied having had non-consensual sex with anyone.
Weinstein was one of Hollywood’s most powerful film and television producers before allegations by more than 80 women of sexual misconduct in 2017 led to criminal charges and fueled the larger #MeToo movement.
He co-founded the Miramax film studio, whose blockbuster films included “Shakespeare in Love” and “Pulp Fiction”.