NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Hannah Tubbs, a transgender California An inmate convicted of molesting a child in a case that drew heavy criticism of Los Angeles County District Attorney George Gascon over his office’s handling of the charge, has pleaded not guilty Tuesday to unrelated murder and robbery charges.
Tubbs appeared in a Kern County courtroom in Bakersfield to face charges related to the death of Michael Clark on April 21, 2019.
Tubbs is being held in the Kern County Jail on $1 million bail and is being held in a men’s jail. Prosecutors refer to the suspect by his birth name James Edward Tubbs.
CALIFORNIA TRANS CHILD MOLESTER, 26, GETS 2 YEARS IN JUVENILE FACILITY THANKS TO PROGRESSIVE DA GEORGE GASCON
Tubbs became the center of controversy earlier this year after pleading guilty to a 2014 assault on a young girl in the restrooms of a Denny’s restaurant when the then-suspect was just weeks after turning 18 years. Prosecutors said Tubbs grabbed the girl by the throat, locked her in a stand, and put his hand in the girl’s pants.
Tubbs pleaded guilty to the attack, although the incident took place when Tubbs was two weeks younger than 18 and identified as a man. When authorities arrested Tubbs about eight years after the crime, the suspect began identifying as female, prosecutors say.
Tubbs was sentenced to two years in a juvenile facility but could be released as early as June, prosecutors told Fox News. Gascon’s office refused to transfer the pedophilia case to adult court as part of its directive that juvenile offenders be tried in juvenile court, even for serious crimes.
The initial prosecutor in charge of the case, Shea Sanna, was also dismissed. He has since become one of his boss’s staunchest critics.
Tubbs will not be required to register as a sex offender. After sentencing, Tubbs was then surprised by a phone call in jail bragging about the light sentence, prompting Gascon to re-evaluate his policies on how minors are prosecuted.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Tubbs is due back in court on May 20.
Fox News’ Audrey Conklin contributed to this report.