Hamilton says ‘older voices’ shouldn’t have a platform – RT Sport News


The motorsport star was reacting to comments made recently by Nelson Piquet and Bernie Ecclestone

Seven-time Formula 1 champion Lewis Hamilton has suggested that “older voices” who supposedly harbor offensive views and opinions should be denied a platform.

The Briton was reacting to remarks made by fellow former champion Nelson Piquet about him, as well as those of former F1 chief Bernie Eccleston about Russian President Vladimir Putin.

In comments that surfaced recently, Brazilian Piquet called Hamilton a “neguinho” in Portuguese, which means “little black” but may be accepted as a racial slur.

Elsewhere, former F1 leader Ecclestone said on Thursday he would take a “ball” for Russian leader Putin, a man he described as a friend.

Speaking ahead of the British Grand Prix, Hamilton told a press conference that discrimination is “not something we should give a platform to.”

“We need people to bring people together” he ordered.

“We are all the same and the comments we see are not helpful.

“There must be some responsibility” continues the 37-year-old. “You know what you’re gonna get [with Ecclestone].”


“I don’t know what their [the broadcaster’s] the goal is “ he said of Ecclestone “Hello Brittany” appearance where he praised Putin, quite predictably causing a heated argument in the UK and beyond.

“It’s going to set us back decades, but we haven’t seen the true weight of pain yet. We don’t need to support this anymore.

“There are a lot of people who want to be positive. If they don’t want to be positive, don’t give them space,” he added. suggested Hamilton.

“We can no longer amplify these voices that create this division.”

READ MORE:
Hamilton engulfed in F1 racism row after ex-champ comments

Hamilton also referenced comments from another former champion, Jackie Stewart, who suggested Hamilton, currently sixth in the drivers’ standings, should retire.

“In the past two weeks, I don’t think a day has gone by that one of these people hasn’t said negative things or tried to put me down,” he noted.

“But I’m still here. Lip talk is not enough, we have to push for action. I’ve always tried to take the high road and be respectful. Why are we giving a platform to those guys?” he asked again.

Hamilton claimed that the older numbers are “clearly unwilling to change.”

Hamilton was asked if he thought F1 had a problem with racism, but said it was a global problem.

“These micro-aggressions come out”, he said. “Enough is enough, no one should have to rule out racism and it’s not up to me to rule out racism. We need big organizations to take a stand.”


F1 icon responds after being accused of racial abuse in Hamilton

Piquet’s original comments were made in relation to a collision Hamilton had at Silverstone last season with his daughter Kelly’s partner and current world champion Max Verstappen.

Although Piquet apologized and asserted that his use of the colloquial term “neguinho” was mistranslated by some media, the British Racing Drivers Club banned him from attending the British Grand Prix this weekend.

Addressing remarks made in an interview last year but only made public this week, Verstappen said there was “definitely not correct”.

“I am firmly against racism, and it has nothing to do just with Lewis and F1, but in general,” underlined the Belgian.

“For me, everyone is equal and that’s how I grew up. A lot of things are already going in the right direction in general with the younger generation. And you just have to understand that some words can’t be used anymore That’s what you have to work on”, he concluded.

You can share this story on social media:


RT

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button