Daniel ‘Jarvo’ Jarvis collided with England slugger Jonny Bairstow at the Kia Oval last year; the court found the YouTuber guilty of aggravated trespassing, with the judge saying he intended to disrupt the game; Jarvis will be sentenced on October 19
By Amar Mehta
Last update: 09/14/22 6:08 p.m.
A self-proclaimed YouTube prankster who collided with England striker Jonny Bairstow after he invaded The Oval ground last year has been found guilty of aggravated trespassing.
Daniel ‘Jarvo’ Jarvis, 34, crashed into an unsuspecting Bairstow at the non-attacking end after sprinting onto the pitch to play Ollie Pope on day two of the fourth Test against India.
Jarvis’ YouTube account has over 170,000 subscribers, was arrested on September 3, 2021 and later charged with aggravated trespass.
Giving his verdict at Croydon Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday, District Judge Daniel Benjamin said: “The issue in the case is simple, whether he intended to disrupt the test match.”
He concluded that it was Jarvis’ intention to disrupt the game and found him guilty.
Jarvis, of Gravesend, Kent, represented himself in the case after his request to adjourn the case was denied.
He appeared in court unshaven, wearing an EA7 Emporio Armani hoodie and tracksuit bottoms, holding a Gucci bag.
Footage of Jarvis running on the pitch was played in court, as was video he recorded showing him hiding in the toilet before sprinting onto the pitch after receiving a phone call telling him to leave.
Footage of the YouTuber taking over the pitch from two previous games between England and India, first at Lord’s on August 12 and then at Headingley on August 25.
“You knew you weren’t allowed on the pitch”
On cross-examination, prosecutor Nicola Grindey said: “You know when you go to an international cricket ground, they can’t keep playing while you’re there.
“You had the cricket ball because your intention was to run and kick the ball effectively towards the wicket.
“When you were short you could see one of the England players in full batting gear – you met him.
“You knew you weren’t allowed on the pitch because you’ve been on cricket grounds before and been asked to leave.”
Jarvis admitted he had been arrested twice before for pitch invasions, but said she didn’t think he was “breaking any law” and “no one has been prosecuted for these things before”.
Taking the helm, he said: “I had no intention of disrupting the game. I didn’t know when I was coming out. Why wasn’t I stopped before? Why is everyone attacking me? it for that?”
He said he gets “positive responses” to his videos, which he makes for “people’s enjoyment”, adding, “I get loads of people saying they have mental health and my videos make them happy.”
He answered “without comment” to each question when questioned by police, the court heard.
Jarvis claimed he didn’t believe he was in violation because he had a ticket, saying people “miss naked” during games but don’t get arrested.
He told the judge he had ‘accidentally’ made contact with Bairstow, admitting ‘I can’t remember the man’s name’.
Jarvis had previously pleaded not guilty to the single charge of aggravated trespassing.
He was released on unconditional bail and will be sentenced on October 19.