Skip to content

The New York Attorney General has announced that no officer will be charged following an inquest into the death of Daniel Prude, a 41-year-old black man who died after being held by Rochester police last year.

New York Attorney General Letitia James said Tuesday his office presented the “strongest possible case” to a grand jury, but the grand jury decided not to indict any officer in the case. James’ office is required to investigate deaths of unarmed civilians by police under state law.

Grand jury refuses to indict officers in Daniel Prude case, New York attorney general announces
Daniel Prude

AP


The family said Prude, who was visiting Rochester from Chicago, was in the middle of a mental health crisis and was acting erratically when they called police for help in March 2020.

A disturbing video that surfaced months later showed Prude naked on a snowy street, wearing a “balaclava” over her heard during her meeting with police. An officer was seen pressing the man’s head against the ground with his hands as Prude was lying down and handcuffed. We hear an officer say that Prude has vomited and the man ends up not responding.

Prude died a week later, and a medical examiner ruled that his death was caused by “complications of suffocation from physical restraint.”

The video drew protests in Rochester and across the country, as well as questions about the handling of the investigation by city officials. Seven Rochester police officers have been suspended and the town’s police chief resigned in September. Union officials insisted that the police take their training.


Source link