GoFundMe has suspended the fundraising page for the 2022 Freedom Convoy after surpassing $10 million on Wednesday.
“This fundraiser is currently on pause and under review to ensure it complies with our Terms of Service and applicable laws and regulations,” read a notice at the top of Convoy’s GoFundMe page, Wednesday evening. “Our team is working 24/7 and doing everything possible to protect organizers and donors. Thank you for your patience.”
Before being suspended, the GoFundMe page for the 2022 Freedom Convoy has grossed over $10.1 million since its inception on Jan. 14. This amount greatly exceeded the amount raised by Canada’s major political parties last quarter.
GOFUNDME FOR CANADIAN TRUCKERS APPROACHES $10M, MORE THAN POLITICAL PARTIES ACROSS THE COUNTRY RAISED LAST YEAR
The news has started circulated last week, reporting that the convoy’s GoFundMe page was frozen and that organizers needed to explain how the millions of dollars in funds raised would be spent. A GoFundMe spokesperson told Fox News Digital on Monday that the organizers detailed how the funds would be spent and that they had withdrawn $1 million to support their efforts.
When contacted to comment on its most recent action against the Freedom Convoy page, GoFundMe directed Fox News Digital to a blog post explaining its stance on the Freedom Convoy page.
“Recent events in Ottawa, Canada have sparked a lot of discussion about the Freedom Convoy 2022 fundraiser on GoFundMe. We wanted to clarify the actions our global Trust & Safety and Customer Service teams take every day, as they did it with the Freedom Convoy Fundraiser,” GoFundMe wrote in part.
GOFUNDME TRUCKER CONVOY ISSUE LATEST EXAMPLE OF PLATFORM GOING INTO CONTROVERSY
GoFundMe then listed the ways it intended to ensure the integrity and transparency of fundraiser organizers.
OTTAWA POLICE CHIEF MAY CALL ON ARMY TO HANDLE PROTESTS
“This process is time consuming and can slow down the withdrawal process. If the fundraiser violates our terms of service or does not directly benefit the intended beneficiary, we will remove it from the platform,” the site added.
Two people have been arrested and there are 13 active investigations related to the massive protest by truckers in Ottawa, police said in a statement Tuesday.
Ottawa’s police chief hinted Wednesday that the Canadian Armed Forces may need to be called in to deal with persistent protesters in the Canadian capital.
“This is a national problem, not an Ottawa problem,” Ottawa Police Chief Peter Sloly said. noted during an information session for municipal councillors. “I am increasingly worried that there is no police solution to this.”
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
The convoy fund founder did not immediately respond to Fox News’ request for comment.