Skip to content


Gérard Depardieu, 72-year-old monument of French cinema, was indicted on December 16 for “rape” and “sexual assault” that he allegedly committed in the summer of 2018 on a young actress, which he contests, has AFP learned Tuesday from a source close to the case, confirmed by a judicial source.

The complainant, who had denounced to the gendarmerie at the end of August 2018 having been raped twice at the star’s Parisian home a few days earlier, had obtained in the summer of 2020 that this investigation, first closed by the Paris prosecutor’s office, be entrusted to an investigating judge. The actor’s lawyer, Me Hervé Témime, contacted by AFP, “deplored that this information was made public”. Gérard Depardieu, who was left free without judicial control, “totally disputes the facts with which he is accused”, said his lawyer.

Accused of two rapes and sexual assault

The young actress in her twenties had initially filed a complaint by going to the gendarmerie in Lambesc (Bouches-du-Rhône) at the end of August 2018. On the report, she accused the actor of two rapes and sexual assaults which would have taken place at the star’s Parisian home, a private mansion in the 6th arrondissement, on August 7 and 13, 2018. According to a source familiar with the matter, the actor is a friend of the victim’s family. “There was absolutely nothing professional about it,” said this source, while the press had mentioned a theater rehearsal.

The legal proceedings opened in Aix-en-Provence against the French actor, also a Russian citizen since 2013, had been repatriated to Paris. On June 4, 2019, however, the prosecution discontinued its nine months of preliminary investigation by explaining that “the numerous investigations carried out” had “not made it possible to characterize the offenses denounced in all their constituent elements”.

Confrontation between the actor and the young actress

A confrontation between the actor and the young actress, never heard of so far, had notably taken place in the premises of the Paris judicial police, a source close to the file told AFP. The complainant then obtained in mid-August 2020 the resumption of the investigation via a complaint with the constitution of civil party, a remedy which allows the almost automatic appointment of a judge to relaunch the investigations. Contacted by AFP, the lawyer for the complainant, Me Élodie Tuaillon-Hibon, asked that “the privacy and privacy of (his) client be preserved”.

Support a professional editorial staff at the service of Brittany and the Bretons: subscribe from € 1 per month.

I subscribe




Source link