Gallagher Premiership: Bristol Bears snatch thriller, London Irish back to winning ways | Rugby Union News

Toby Fricker’s late try saw Bristol claim victory in the West Country derby at home to Gloucester; London Irish beat Newcastle Falcons in a match in which both teams sent off players

Last update: 22/04/22 22:49

Toby Fricker was Bristol’s star man in their win over Gloucester

We recap the action from Friday’s Gallagher Premiership matches which saw Bristol Bears and London Irish triumph…

Bristol Bears 29-28 Gloucester

Gloucester’s Premiership play-off hopes suffered a setback after Toby Fricker’s 79th-minute try secured victory for Bristol in a thrilling western derby at Ashton Gate.

Just 24 hours after Gloucester secured a bonus points win in their canceled game against Worcester Warriors last month, it looked like they would climb above fourth-placed Exeter Chiefs, but second in the game winger Fricker scored a spectacular bonus points triumph.

Gloucester trailed 17 points after just 11 minutes after Bristol tries for hooker Harry Thacker and scrum-half Andy Uren, while Callum Sheedy kicked two conversions and a penalty but fought back through Louis Rees-Zammit, Charlie Chapman and Chris Harris before halftime. weather.

Fricker’s first try, converted by Sheedy, put Bristol back in front. However, substitute full-back Sam Bedlow was then sent off for a high tackle on Gloucester fly-half Adam Hastings and with the home side down to 14, Gloucester substitute hooker Jack Singleton touched down, Hastings effecting his fourth conversion.

But Bristol came back, and there was still enough time for Fricker to score and end a run of four successive Premiership defeats.

Newcastle Falcons 14-42 London Irish

London Irish's Tom Pearson is tackled by the Newcastle defense

London Irish’s Tom Pearson is tackled by the Newcastle defense

The London Irish recorded a first win in five games as they beat Newcastle in the Premiership clash at Kingston Park on Friday night.

A bonus point was secured in the first half through the inspired Paddy Jackson, who was perfect with the boot as he dictated the tempo and play, and tries from Kyle Rowe, Albert Tuisue, Agustin Creevy and Oliver Hassell-Collins.

Sean Robinson and Ben Stevenson kept the Falcons up to this point, but further scoring from Curtis Rona and Matt Cornish put the game to bed.

The match ended at 14 as Facundo Gigena and Gary Graham were both sent off by referee Karl Dickson who, after consulting replays, decided they both deserved reds for putting their heads up together in the 77th minute.

It was a lackluster end to a great night for the Irish who were dominant throughout and kept their play-off hopes alive thanks to the five points they brought home to London.

Sky Sports

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button