Frank Warren reveals his replacement opponent is ready to fight Tyson Fury in case Dillian Whyte retires late


Frank Warren has revealed a plan is in place which will see Tyson Fury face a replacement opponent on April 23 at Wembley Stadium, just in case Dillian Whyte doesn’t lead the fight.

The promoter did not confirm the identity of the possible replacement opponent and gave no indication that he expected the replacement to be necessary, although he admitted his team had decided to ” cover all the bases”.

Fury is co-promoted by Warren and Bob Arum
Queensberry Specials

Representatives for Fury and Whyte have been embroiled in a series of disputes in recent weeks over various contractual issues ahead of the fight, which will be live on talkSPORT.

The challenger opted out of promoting the fight and therefore did not show up for the first press conference.

He also remains silent on social media.

Fury’s British co-promoter Warren and Whyte’s lawyer Jeffrey Benz went back and forth on talkSPORT late last month regarding the issues, but made little progress towards a resolution.

Therefore, Gypsy King’s team is safe and preparing for a possible worst-case scenario in which Whyte withdraws at the last minute, even though he has shown no signs of doing so.

Frank Warren reveals his replacement opponent is ready to fight Tyson Fury in case Dillian Whyte retires late
Whyte has the WBC ‘interim’ belt, while Fury is the WBC world heavyweight champion
Dave Thompson/Matchroom

Asked about rumors of a replacement opponent being lined up, Warren told SecondsOut: “The truth is, we’ve got all the bases covered.”

Pushed on the situation, he added: “Don’t you think, for an event of this magnitude, of what we have sold, that we would not cover this scenario?

“Of course we cover that scenario.”

Explaining more about the disputes, Warren said: “The bottom line of it all is that he signed a contract.

“This contract is full of its obligations – and besides what are our obligations.

“We have fulfilled each of our obligations.

“All he keeps doing is decentering, of course, offering other things that aren’t in the contract.

“All I want, Dillian Whyte, is what’s in the contract. No more, no less.”

Frank Warren reveals his replacement opponent is ready to fight Tyson Fury in case Dillian Whyte retires late
Whyte did not attend the first presser
Queensberry Specials

OFFER OF THE DAY

Sky Bet: Bet Anything and Get €30 Free Bets* CLAIM HERE

NEW CUSTOMERS ONLY, FIRST BET SINGLE AND E/W ONLY, 5p MINIMUM BET, 3 x £10 BETTING CHIPS. FREE BET SETS NOT INCLUDED IN RETURNS. FREE BETS EXCLUD VIRTUAL BETS. FREE BETS ARE NOT WITHDRAWN. NO FREE BET EXPIRATION. ELIGIBILITY RESTRICTIONS AND OTHER TERMS AND CONDITIONS APPLY. 18+ BEGAMBLEAWARE.ORG

When asked why the situation irritated him so much, Warren replied, “We pay him $7.5 million and he has a benefit of $4 million.

“Of course, I am upset. What do we have to say then? We pay fighters to do nothing?

“Where does he think the money is generated from? It is generated from the promotion.

“It’s not like, ‘Oh, here’s a scholarship offer, here’s your money, go ahead and come in the evening.’

“Has he done this for any fight he has had with Matchroom? Didn’t he show up at a single press conference announcing a show for Matchroom?

“No. So why is he doing this?

Boxing on talkSPORT

Visit YouTube for more talkSPORT dedicated boxing content where you’ll find exclusive interviews with Tyson Fury, Eddie Hearn and Jake Paul, plus our very own boxing insider.


Sports

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button