Fox News throws in the towel on news coverage.
The company said it will not broadcast Thursday night’s live hearings of the House Select Committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, assault on the U.S. Capitol on its main network, Fox News. Instead, it plans to air the usual programming at the time, including conspiracy theorist Tucker Carlson, who on Monday denounced the committee as “preposterous” and promised his own counter-programming, per Mediaite.
Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-Ill.), a member of the bipartisan committee, criticized Fox News’ decision and called on all reporters who remained on the network to speak out:
The three major broadcast networks — ABC, CBS and NBC — will cover live ratings, as will CNN and MSNBC.
Fox News will transfer Bret Baier and Martha MacCallum to Fox Business to cover the hearings. According NC, Fox Business typically receives around 100,000 viewers, a fraction of the 3 million who tune in to Fox News during prime time.
The January 6 attack was carried out by supporters of former President Donald Trump, who were trying to block certification of the 2020 election and keep Trump in power. The hearings will examine, among other things, the role of Trump and his allies in orchestrating attempts to undermine the election. A former GOP lawmaker who cooperated with the committee previously called the attack an “attempted coup.”
But in the past, Carlson has claimed the Jan. 6 attack was potentially carried out by “FBI agents” and “deep state” agents, positions that have drawn rebukes from other Fox figures. News, including Baier and Geraldo Rivera.
Carlson also admitted to sometimes lying on his show. Fox News even successfully defended itself from defamation claims in court by convincing a judge that Carlson isn’t trading ‘real facts’ and that ‘any reasonable viewer’ comes along.[s] with an appropriate amount of skepticism” about the statement he makes.
Still, Carlson will be the face of the network as the ratings unfold, alongside Sean Hannity and Laura Ingraham, who will air their regular shows but can cover ratings “as news warrants,” the report said. network in a press release.
Hannity has also repeatedly insisted that he is not a journalist.
Although few people were shocked by the decision, critics criticized Fox News for dropping the news: