Skip to content
Former NFL player Kellen Winslow II receives 14 years in prison for rape and assault

SAN DIEGO – Former NFL player Kellen Winslow II was sentenced Wednesday to 14 years in prison for multiple rapes and other sexual offenses against five women in Southern California, including one who was homeless when he assaulted in 2018.

The 37-year-old son of San Diego Chargers Hall of Fame catcher Kellen Winslow appeared by video conference at the San Diego Superior Court hearing in Vista, a town north of San Diego. He declined to comment ahead of his conviction, saying his lawyers advised him not to speak.

San Diego County Superior Court Judge Blaine Bowman said Winslow could only be described as “two words and he’s a sexual predator.” He said he had selected vulnerable women because of their age or life situation with the idea that “I hope he would get away with that in his mind. “

Winslow was once the league’s highest-paid tight end, playing for the Cleveland Browns and Tampa Bay Buccaneers among others, earning more than $ 40 million in his 10 seasons before he left in 2013.

The 14-year sentence was the maximum allowed under a plea deal. He was convicted of forcible rape, rape of an unconscious person, assault with intent to commit rape, indecent disclosure and obscene conduct in public.

The forced rape involved a homeless woman in her hometown of Encinitas, a beach community north of San Diego.

She was one of four women who gave statements Wednesday, including a victim who had her read to the prosecutor. All described suffering years after their attacks of fear and emotional trauma.

The homeless woman was called to the hearing via video conference from the San Diego District Attorney’s Office, where she was watching the proceedings with another victim.

She said that since being raped she has found it difficult to lift her head and walk, and that she is constantly afraid, checks under beds and in closets, and cannot be alone.

“It affects my life every day and every night,” she said. “I never feel safe inside or out. You have caused so much damage in my life.”

Winslow’s attorney, Marc Carlos, said Winslow suffered a head injury from multiple blows to the head while playing football, which can only explain why he “derailed” from a star athlete to convicted sexual predator. He said his client has accepted responsibility and intends to get help.

Winslow was convicted of forced rape and two misdemeanors – indecent exposure and obscene act in public – after a trial in June 2019.

But this jury failed to agree on other charges, including the alleged rape of a 54-year-old hitchhiker in 2018 and the 2003 rape of an unconscious 17-year-old high school student. who went to a party with him at the age of 19. .

Before being retried on these charges, he pleaded guilty to raping the teenager and the hitchhiker’s sexual battery. These calls saved him the possibility of life imprisonment.

The father of two, whose wife filed for divorce after being convicted, faced up to 18 years in prison on all charges. But the two sides agreed to reduce the charge on the sexual battery to assault with the intention of committing rape last month. This reduced the maximum sentence to 14 years.



Source link