The Honduran Justice denied on Thursday an appeal filed by former President Juan Orlando Hernández (2014-2022), to leave prison and await an extradition process to the United States under house arrest, which is demanding him for drug trafficking.
The Supreme Court of Justice (CSJ) discussed the appeal filed by Hernández’s defense against preventive detention. “By majority of votes, the appeal is declared inadmissible,” said the spokesman for the CSJ, Carlos Silva.
Hernández will have to serve preventive detention “in the place that was issued on February 16.” Only one of the 15 magistrates of the plenary session of the CSJ voted to grant him the benefit, he added.
By order of a judge, Hernández is serving preventive detention at the headquarters of the special police forces command known as Los Cobras, east of Tegucigalpa.
On February 14, the United States asked Honduras for the capture and extradition of the former president, accused of exporting 500 tons of cocaine to the US market since 2004.
Immediately, the house was surrounded by about 600 policemen. The next day, when he opened the door of his house, he was captured, handcuffed with chains and transferred to Los Cobras. After a first hearing on February 16, he must go to court again on March 16.
The head of US diplomacy, Antony Blinken, said that Hernández had been included on July 1, 2021 in the list of people accused of corruption or undermining democracy in El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras, for which his visa was suspended. .
Hernández, who left the Honduran presidency on January 27 after eight years in office, has been implicated by New York prosecutors as having ties to drug trafficking.
His brother, former deputy “Tony” Hernández, was sentenced in March 2021 to life imprisonment in the United States for that crime.
The former president denies the charges and attributes them to the revenge of capos that his government extradited and who served as witnesses against his brother.