first victory for OM which sweeps away Sporting Portugal (4-1)

Finally a victory for OM in the Champions League. And what a success! After two defeats in as many matches in the competition, Igor Tudor’s men outclassed Sporting Portugal (4-1) in a closed-door Velodrome due to incidents against Frankfurt. Trailing after just 50 seconds of play, OM then fully recovered, benefiting from several largesse from the opposing goalkeeper, who was sent off in the 23rd minute.

Stuck in traffic jams, the Sporting car arrived late at the Stade Vélodrome, thus postponing the kick-off by around fifteen minutes. But the Portuguese players were well on time on the pitch at kick-off and scored a first but after less than a minute of play. Winger Trincao, author of a fine shot in the small net after not being bothered by Nuno Tavares, Leonardo Balerdi or Jordan Veretout sent OM back to their old demons.

OM can say thank you to the Sporting goalkeeper

Everything was then in place for a new European disaster and it took a good save from Pau Lopez in the 9th minute against Marcus Edwards to keep OM alive. OM were then helped by the opposing goalkeeper Antonio Adan who first released a harmless ball on the foot of Alexis Sanchez who saw the ball end up in the back of the net.

Not very nice, the Chilean’s goal, OM’s first in the Champions League game since… 2013 and a goal by Souleymane Diawara, however weighed very heavily. Because on a shot badly repelled by Adan, Sanchez then quickly scored a new goal, canceled for offside. On the following free kick, the Spanish goalkeeper sent a direct throw to Mattéo Guendouzi and two passes later, OM had taken the lead, Amine Harit heading in the impeccable cross of Jonathan Clauss (2-1, 16th).

Clauss out through injury

Antonio Adan then followed up with a new dumpling with this coarse main outside his surface synonymous with an indisputable red card. In front of the score and 11 against 10, OM quietly removed the nail with a third but signed Balerdi with a header from a corner (28th), just before one of the rare bad news of the evening, the injury of Clauss.

While their calendar remains extremely dense, with the reception of Ajaccio on Saturday which should allow them to give their place at the top of the Ligue 1 table, OM then did not force their talent or burn too much energy. The second period was thus without history or spark, Marseille contenting themselves until the goal of Mbemba (4-1, 84th) to manage their advantage and Tudor the playing times of each other.

Badly started, the Croat’s evening therefore ended very well, with even in the last moments a proud “To Arms” launched by the handful of invitations and authorized accredited above his sidelines.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button