FBI seized ‘top secret’ documents from Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, warrant says


WASHINGTON (AP) — The FBI has recovered documents labeled “top secret” from former President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, according to court documents released Friday after a federal judge unsealed the warrant authorizing the unprecedented search this week.

A property receipt unsealed by the court shows FBI agents took 11 sets of classified documents from the estate during a search Monday.

The documents seized include some that have been classified as top secret and also “compartmentalized sensitive information,” a special category intended to protect the nation’s most important secrets and those that, if revealed publicly, would harm U.S. interests. . Court records did not provide specific details about the documents or information they might contain.

The warrant specifies that federal agents were investigating potential violations of three different federal laws, including one that governs the collection, transmission or loss of defense information under the Espionage Act. The other statutes deal with the concealment, mutilation or suppression of documents and the destruction, alteration or falsification of documents in federal investigations.

The property receipt also showed that federal agents had collected other potential presidential records, including the clemency order from Trump ally Roger Stone, a “leather-bound document box” and information about the “President of France”. A binder of photos, a handwritten note, “various secret documents” and “various confidential documents” were also seized during the search.

LOOK: What we know about the FBI raid on Trump’s Florida home

Trump’s attorney Christina Bobb, who was present at Mar-a-Lago when officers conducted the search, signed both property receipts — one two-page and one single-page.

In a statement earlier Friday, Trump claimed the documents seized by officers were “all declassified” and argued that he would have turned over the documents to the Justice Department if asked.

While sitting presidents have the power to declassify information, that power lapses as soon as they leave office and it was unclear whether the documents in question had already been declassified. Trump also kept the documents despite multiple requests from agencies, including the National Archives, to turn over presidential records in accordance with federal law.

U.S. Magistrate Judge Bruce Reinhart, the same judge who signed the search warrant, unsealed the warrant and property receipt on Friday at the request of the Justice Department after Attorney General Merrick Garland said there was “substantial public interest in this matter”, and Trump backed the “immediate” release of the warrant. The Justice Department told the judge Friday afternoon that Trump’s lawyers did not object to the proposal to make it public.

In posts on his Truth Social platform, Trump wrote, “Not only will I not oppose the release of documents…I go one step further by ENCOURAGING the immediate release of these documents.

Trump himself had received at least some of the records the government was seeking to unseal, but he and his attorneys have so far refused to release them.

The Justice Department’s request is striking because these documents traditionally remain sealed pending an ongoing investigation. But the department appeared to recognize that its silence since the search had created a vacuum for bitter verbal attacks from Trump and his allies, and that the public was entitled to side with the FBI on what prompted Monday’s action at the home. of the former president.

“The clear and powerful public interest in understanding what transpired in these circumstances weighs heavily in favor of unsealing,” said a motion filed Thursday in federal court in Florida.

The information was released as Trump prepares for another run at the White House. During his 2016 campaign, he frequently pointed to an FBI investigation of his Democratic opponent, Hillary Clinton, into whether she mishandled classified information.

To obtain a search warrant, federal authorities must prove to a judge that there is probable cause to believe that a crime has been committed. Garland said he personally approved the warrant, a decision he said the department did not take lightly given that common practice is to select less intrusive tactics whenever possible. than a house search.

ANALYSIS: 4 things to know about the FBI raid on Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate

In this case, according to a person familiar with the matter, there was substantial engagement with Trump and his representatives prior to the search warrant, including a subpoena and visit to Mar-a-Lago a few months ago by FBI and Justice Department officials to assess how the documents were stored. The person was not authorized to discuss the case by name and spoke on condition of anonymity.

Neither Trump nor the FBI said anything about what documents the FBI might have recovered, or what specifically the agents were looking for.

FBI and Justice Department policy cautions against discussing ongoing investigations, both to protect the integrity of the investigations and to avoid unfairly slandering a person who is examined but ultimately not charged. . This is especially true in the case of search warrants, where supporting court documents are routinely kept secret as the investigation unfolds.

In this case, however, Garland cited the fact that Trump himself had provided the first public confirmation of the FBI’s search, “as is his right.” The Justice Department, in its new filing, also said releasing information about it now would not harm the court’s functions.

The Justice Department under Garland has been wary of public statements about politically charged investigations, or confirming the extent to which it might investigate Trump as part of a broader probe into the Jan. 6 riot at the U.S. Capitol. and efforts to overturn the results of the 2020 election.

The department has tried to avoid being seen as injecting itself into presidential politics, as happened in 2016 when then-FBI Director James Comey made an unusual public statement announcing that the FBI would not recommend criminal charges against Clinton over his handling of the emails – and when he spoke again just over a week before the election to inform Congress that the investigation was indeed being reopened due discovering new emails.

Mar-a-Lago’s search warrant served on Monday was part of an ongoing Justice Department investigation into the discovery of classified White House documents recovered from Trump’s home in Palm Beach, Florida, earlier this year. The National Archives had asked the department to investigate after it said 15 boxes of documents recovered from the estate included classified documents. Several federal laws govern the handling of classified information.

The attorney general also condemned the verbal attacks on FBI and Justice Department personnel during the search. Some Republican allies of Trump have called for the FBI’s funding to be cut. A large number of Trump supporters have called for the warrant to be released in the hope that it will show that Trump was unfairly targeted.

“I will not remain silent when their integrity is unjustly attacked,” Garland said of the federal law enforcement officers, calling them “dedicated and patriotic public servants.”

Earlier Thursday, a gunman wearing a body armor attempted to enter a security screening area at an FBI field office in Ohio, then fled and was later killed after a confrontation with the law enforcement. A law enforcement official briefed on the case identified the man as Ricky Shiffer and said he would have been in Washington in the days leading up to the attack on the Capitol and could have be there on the day of the attack.

Associated Press writers Lindsay Whitehurst and Meg Kinnard contributed to this report.


gb7

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button