FBI director slams ‘deplorable’ threats after Mar-A-Lago raid


OMAHA, Neb. (AP) – The FBI director had strong words Wednesday for supporters of former President Donald Trump who used violent rhetoric following his agency’s search of Trump’s Mar-a-Lago home. .

Christopher Wray, who was named the agency’s director in 2017 by Trump, called threats circulating online against federal agents and the Justice Department “deplorable and dangerous.”

“I’m always concerned about threats against law enforcement,” Wray said. “Violence against law enforcement is not the answer, no matter who you’re mad at.”

Wray made the remarks following a press conference during a long-planned visit to the agency’s field office in Omaha, Nebraska, where he discussed the FBI’s focus on cybersecurity. . He declined to answer questions about the hours-long search Monday by FBI agents from Trump’s Palm Beach, Florida resort.

It has been easy to find the threats and a call to arms in these corners of the internet favored by right-wing extremists since Trump himself announced the raid of his Florida home. Reactions included the ubiquitous “lock and load” and calls for the assassination of federal agents and even US Attorney General Merrick Garland.

An aerial view of President Donald Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate, Tuesday, Aug. 10, 2022, in Palm Beach, Florida. The FBI has searched Trump’s Mar-a-Lago estate as part of an investigation into whether he took classified White House files from his residence in Florida, people familiar with the matter said Monday. (AP Photo/Steve Helber)

On Gab – a social media site popular with white supremacists and anti-Semites – a poster by the name of Stephen said he was waiting for the “call” to mount an armed revolution.

“All it takes is one call. And millions will arm themselves and take over this country. It will be over in less than 2 weeks,” the post read.

Another poster of Gab implored the others: “Let’s get started! This unelected and illegitimate regime has crossed the line with its GESTAPO raid! It is high time that the liberal socialist garbage was cleaned from American society!

The search of Trump’s residence on Monday is part of an investigation into whether Trump took classified White House files from his residence in Florida, according to people familiar with the matter. The Justice Department has been investigating potential mishandling of classified information since the National Archives and Records Administration said it received 15 boxes of White House documents from Mar-a-Lago, including documents containing classified information. , earlier this year.




huffpost

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button