Family of Chinatown woman stabbed to death by homeless career criminal sues New York City, NYPD officers

The family of a Chinatown woman brutally stabbed to death is now suing New York and NYPD officers who responded to the first 911 calls from neighbors.

The estate of Christian Yuna Lee filed a lawsuit against New York City and 10 members of the New York Police Department in Manhattan Criminal Court earlier this month. Lee was allegedly killed by a homeless man with a long rap sheet, who was filmed sneaking into her building and following her to her apartment last year

Lee, a 35-year-old Korean-American creative producer, was found stabbed more than 40 times in the bathtub of her Chrystie Street apartment in Manhattan on February 13, 2022.

Police say they arrested a homeless man, Assamad Nash, 25, who was found hiding under Lee’s mattress. Nash has since pleaded not guilty to charges of murder, burglary and burglary of a sexual nature in connection with Lee’s death. The lawsuit notes that Lee’s apartment was across from Sara D. Roosevelt Park, which had long attracted crime, drug addicts and the homeless.


Months before Lee’s death, Sala Miah, a 51-year-old Bangladeshi GrubHub delivery man, was slashed in the face, stabbed to death and stripped of his bike at the same park. Joseph Sandoval was arrested the same month for the murder of Miah.

Assamad Nash, center, is escorted by police officers from the 5th Precinct in Manhattan, New York, Monday, Feb. 14, 2022. (Shawn Inglima/New York Daily News/Tribune News Service via Getty Images)

New York City “was aware of and failed to control significant public safety conditions in Sara D. Roosevelt Park prior to and on the night of February 13, 2022, including, but not limited to, violent crimes such as the October 16, 2021, stabbing death of Sala Miah, a delivery man, just outside Sara D. Roosevelt Park at Chrystie Street and Hester Street, two blocks from Ms. Lee’s apartment, and inadequate nighttime fencing and lighting,” the filing obtained by Fox News Digital reads.

“The dangerous conditions in Sara D. Roosevelt Park, a public park owned, maintained and operated by Defendant CITY OF NEW YORK, were known to Defendant CITY OF NEW YORK and contributed to the injury and suffering of Plaintiff and to interference with the plaintiff’s private interests,” the lawsuit states. “By failing to control the hazardous conditions in Sara D. Roosevelt Park, Defendant intentionally, recklessly, and negligently created a nuisance which substantially and unreasonably interfered with Plaintiff’s private rights and interests.”

The night she was killed, Lee drove home by taxi and entered her apartment building around 4:20 a.m. Nash snuck into the building behind her, police said.


Christina Yuna Lee protest

A protester holds a photo of Christina Yuna Lee, who was murdered in her Chinatown apartment on February 13, 2022. (Michael M. Santiago/Getty Images)

The lawsuit says Lee struggled with her attacker and screamed for help for at least five minutes, during which time her neighbors called 911 and reported the attack in progress.

Two NYPD officers were about three blocks from the apartment at the time, answered 911, and heard Lee screaming for help. Yet, according to the lawsuit, these two officers “failed to enter Ms. Lee’s apartment or provide police or medical assistance to Ms. Lee at the time.”

The filing claims that Lee’s screams stopped abruptly and officers allegedly spoke with Nash through the closed door of Lee’s apartment.

“Despite the proximity of the NYPD 5th Precinct to Ms. Lee’s apartment,” the filing claims, seven other officers did not arrive at the apartment until around 5:30 a.m. — more than an hour after neighbors called. called 911 and the first two officers heard Lee crying out for help.

AAPI protesters after Christina Lee stabs death

Members of the Korean American Association hold a rally near the building where Christina Yuna Lee was murdered on February 15, 2022 in New York City. (Spencer Platt/Getty Images)

“At approximately 5:40 a.m., an hour and twenty minutes after Ms. Lee was first attacked, members of the NYPD Emergency Services Unit forced their way into Ms. Lee’s apartment,” it said. the trial. The NYPD office found Lee inside the apartment, “where she had been fatally stabbed more than forty times in the neck and torso.”


She was pronounced dead at her home around 5:55 a.m. At the time, Nash had four cases pending since his arrest in New York for a crime on the subway.

Lee’s aunt Boksun Lee is suing as administrator of her niece’s estate. Lee is also survived by his parents, Jung Lee and Sungkon Lee, who are the legal heirs of his estate.


Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button