CHICAGO (CBS) – The families of two young Naperville men who were killed in the stampede at the Astroworld festival in Houston earlier this month have filed wrongful death lawsuits against rapper Travis Scott and event planners, accusing them of failing do enough to prevent deadly chaos.
Jake Jurinek and Franco Patino, both 21, were among 10 people killed following an intense crowd surge during Scott’s performance at the festival on November 5.
READ MORE: 16-year-old boy charged with murder of 18-year-old Azul De La Garza
Patino and Jurinek met at Naperville Elementary School and both graduated from Neuqua Valley High School; described by friends and educators as “great people” in a life lived with strong friendships.
Patino was a senior at the University of Dayton, where he majored in mechanical engineering technology and minor in biomechanics of human movement.
Jurinek was a student at Southern Illinois University Carbondale studying advertising and journalism.
“Parents shouldn’t have to worry about their children being hit, trampled, trampled and crushed to death at a concert,” attorney Philip Corboy Jr. said in a statement.
Lawsuits brought by the Patino and Jurinek families accuse Scott, festival organizers, NRG Park owners and operators, and several others of being fully aware of the chaos that unfolded during Scott’s concert, but of failing to do so. stop that more than 40 minutes after town. officials said it was a massively casualty event.
Investigators say it could take months to figure out what was wrong. An estimated 50,000 people attended the concert.
The crowd started pushing and heading for the stage around 9 p.m. on the night of the concert, as Travis Scott performed.
Houston Fire Chief Samuel Peña said spectators began to “squeeze” towards the stage during Scott’s performance, which “caused some panic and started causing injuries.”
Scott was blamed for not stopping his performance, and a cellphone video of the concert showed attendees telling security “there’s someone dead in there” and the crowd shouting “stop the show” during that it was happening.
READ MORE: Suspect in Waukesha Christmas Parade Tragedy, Darrell Brooks, Charged with Murder; He has a long criminal record
CBS News also learned that organizers did not have a contingency plan in place for the influx of crowds, despite three people being trampled and hospitalized at the festival in 2019.
Scott turns out to have a long history with crowd control and violence. As CBS 2’s Marie Saavedra reported earlier this month, that story includes a stop in Grant Park for Lollapalooza six years ago that ended with the rapper in handcuffs.
It’s part of a pattern that has proven to be incredibly dangerous, and now deadly.
Travis Scott – who was born Jacques Webster and at the time stylized his name as “Travi $” – was barely in his set at Lollapalooza in 2015 when he urged the crowd to jump the barricades into the security pit.
And they did.
The rapper was arrested for disorderly conduct and then pleaded guilty. But no fan was injured that night, unlike Astroworld.
“I could never imagine something like this happening,” Scott said in part on an Instagram video apologizing for what happened in Houston.
But his background tells a different story, which continued long after the Lollapalooza incident in 2015.
In April 2017, Scott encouraged a fan at a show at Terminal 5 in New York City to jump off a balcony into the crowd. A month later, he was arrested after a performance in Arkansas suspected of inciting a riot.
Even Scott’s 2019 Nexflix documentary showed the dangers of attending his shows.
Scott is already facing dozens of lawsuits from injured fans in Houston, claiming he hasn’t done enough to prevent the chaos.
NO MORE NEWS: Thrift store for art supplies is also trying to protect the environment
Scott agrees to cover the funeral costs of the ten people killed, including Jurinek and Patino.