Families are trying to recover after an apartment fire took their homes

MADISON, Ala. (WHNT) – Families in Madison find themselves picking up the pieces of what was once a bright and welcoming home after a fire burned down a four-unit apartment building Wednesday afternoon at the corner of Angela Drive and Gillespie Road.

A total of 16 people have been displaced and are now looking for accommodation after the fire. The American Red Cross donated $510 to each family to help provide immediate necessities like food and a temporary room.

Most of the families affected, like Cleopatra Magwood and her family, are grateful for the money, but say there is still a long way to go to get back on their feet.

“I thank them for that,” Magwood said. “But, I just don’t know what we’re going to do.”

The Magwood family returned to the unit Thursday morning after the fire to salvage what they could. The smell of smoke lingered as they sorted through the clothes.

“I was getting the clothes to try to wash off the smoke damage, the smell is awful,” she told News 19. “You can’t be in there. My whole bedroom ceiling is leaking , he just messed up all my clothes, my room is awful.

Cleopatra Magwood and her family moved into the building just six months ago. As they finally settled in, the unimaginable happened.

“We were sorting clothes. I immediately smelled smoke and grabbed the kids. I heard them screaming outside and grabbed the kids. I didn’t know that. was that bad. I thought maybe something was burning and found out it was a fire.

The Magwoods live next door to the unit that started the fire – the home of Hope Curry and her children. She says she was on her way home from shopping to start dinner, but when she stopped she found her son and nephew outside with a smoke scene behind them.

“The kids were here and I was so grateful to see everyone outside the door against the materialistic things that we lost,” Curry said. “At that time, it was like no one was going back there. If we lose everything, it’s unfortunate, but we’ll get through this.

The family lost everything, including their puppy and two other pets. But through it all, Curry thanks God every day that his family is safe.

The Madison Fire Department has not yet released a cause for the fire.


whnt

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button