MOON TOWNSHIP (KDKA) – A mother in Moon Township has warned all parents about the hand sanitizer. She says what happened to her young daughter was a nightmare that no other parent should have to endure.
It was her second day of kindergarten at JH Brooks Elementary School in Moon Area.
READ MORE: Heavy smoke evacuation at the Westin Pittsburgh on Liberty Avenue
The little girl set up her desk with pencils and supplies, including a new bottle of hand sanitizer, which was on the school supplies list for the kindergarten class.
At lunch, the 5-year-old had collapsed.
“The principal called and said to go to school immediately,” the girl’s mother said. “She was walking a little shaky down the hall. By the time they got into the classroom, into the dining room, she fell down and couldn’t sit up straight.
The mother of three young children does not wish to be identified, but wanted to share the story of her youngest. She said the little girl was rushed to the school children’s hospital.
“She was completely beside himself. I tried to wake her up and she briefly opened her eyes and looked at me, but it was almost like she was looking right through me. And she started to cry and then she lay down, ”the mother said. “I was very scared. I had no idea. The doctor had no idea either.
A few hours later, at the hospital, the little girl came to her senses, but Mom still had no answer as to what had happened, until the school called again.
“This class, each student has their own disinfectant pump bottle at their desk with their name on it for their personal use,” the mother said. “My daughter had consumed half of that bottle. She consumed 6 ounces of 70% alcohol.
READ MORE: US News & World Report: 2 Pittsburgh Universities Among Top 100 Colleges
His blood alcohol level was 0.23.
In a statement, school principal Barry Balaski said, “The health and well-being of our students is a priority. The district provides hand sanitizing stations which are available at each of our schools. Additionally, students are allowed to have hand sanitizer in their desks or backpack. However, students are not required to keep it in their desks or backpack, especially if a parent / guardian does not want them to have it.
Dr Michael Lynch, director of the Pittsburgh Poison Center, says there has been an increase in the number of children ingesting hand sanitizer.
“In Pennsylvania, over the past 18 months, more or less since the start of the pandemic, we have seen a 56% increase in exposure to hand sanitizer compared to the previous 18 months,” he said. -he declares.
Dr Lynch says that’s about 2,300 cases, most under the age of 5, and about 6% of those children were expected to go to hospital.
“Hand sanitizers typically contain around 70% ethanol, which means they are resistant to around 140 degrees,” Dr. Lynch said. “Even a small amount can be enough to get drunk.”
The little girl is fine now, but her mother is still worried about what happened and wants to make sure other parents and guardians are aware of the dangers.
NO MORE NEWS: Chief says fire at vacant New Castle house looks suspicious
“I hope there won’t be long term effects from this,” she said of her daughter.