A future father was killed Sunday morning after a device exploded for a sex disclosure party in New York City, police said.
Christopher Pekny, 28, of Liberty was building a device for a gender reveal party just before noon when something went wrong: the device exploded, New York State Police said in a statement Press.
Pekny – who officials said was the future father, according to WABC – was killed in the blast.
Her brother Michael Pekny, 27, was injured and taken to a hospital in nearby Middletown.
New York State Police and the New York State Police Bomb Destruction Unit are investigating the incident. No other information was released at the time.
Liberty is approximately 100 miles northwest of New York City.
Gender reveal parties – in which parents use baked goods, confetti, smoke bombs, and other items to announce the sex of their unborn children – became very popular in the late 2000s.
Blogger Jenna Karvunidis is credited with popularizing the trend after revealing the gender of her child by cutting into a cake filled with pink icing in 2008, The Guardian reported.
The genre reveals itself evolved over time, becoming more and more extravagant – and sometimes deadly. Karvunidis has since spoken out against these types of parties, explaining that they “place too much importance on one aspect of a person”.
“He just went crazy after that. Literally – gunshots, forest fires, more gender emphasis than ever needed for a baby, ”Karvunidis wrote in a 2019 Facebook post.
“Who cares about the sex of the baby?” she asked, including a photo of her daughter in a blue blazer in pants. “PLOT TWIST, the world’s first gender reveal party baby, is a costume girl!”
In another example of a gender reveal gone awry, Pamela Kreimeyer, a 66-year-old grandmother, was killed in her Iowa home in 2019 after a homemade gender reveal device exploded containing gunpowder, ABC News reported.
Shards of metal flew, hitting Kreimeyer in the head and killing her. Authorities said his family inadvertently made a “homemade bomb,” the outlet said.
Earlier this month, a 26-year-old man was killed by shrapnel when a “small cannon-type device” exploded after being shot to celebrate a baby shower in Michigan’s backyard, reported McClatchy News.
And last year, a ‘smoke-generating pyrotechnic device’ used at a genre-revealing celebration in California sparked the El Dorado fire that burned thousands of acres in the southern state. , McClatchy reported.