EXCLUSIVE: 33 luxury apartment executives in Tehama San Francisco call contractor theft from vacant unit ‘unfortunate’


SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) — ABC7 News has been reporting on the 33 Tehama luxury apartment building in San Francisco for months. More than two months ago, 600 residents were displaced due to flooding.

Since then, we’ve brought you an exclusive video of thefts inside a unit and suspicious incidents that make residents who still have their belongings inside the building feel unsafe.

Hines Senior General Manager Paul Paradis agreed to speak to ABC7 News to address the incidents.

EXCLUSIVE: Video shows contractor stealing vacant luxury apartment in SF

“Everyone entering the building to do the work is insured, bonded and professional, so it’s really the best bet to bring legitimate, licensed contractors into the building,” Paradis said.

Luz Pena: “The one who was fired was also checked and he was stealing.”

Paul Paradis: “Exactly and unfortunately he was a person who slipped into the system and that’s unfortunate. Like I said, we fired that person.”

Hines said they keep records of every person who enters each unit. In a statement on Tuesday, they said they had “temporarily removed all contractor access to resident units while we work on a solution to strengthen security measures.”

We asked again on Wednesday:

Luz Pena: “Are contractors still allowed to enter apartments? »

Paul Paradis: “Yes, we need people to access the units from time to time to deal with flood damage and to carry out repairs.”

RELATED: Residents of luxury SF apartment relocated after pipe burst, flooding all 35 floors

Paradis said they have increased security and CCTV.

Luz Pena: “When you say CCTV, are you only talking about CCTV in the hallways?”

Paul Paradis: “I can’t give you all the details of the video we’re putting together, but I can get back to you on that.”

Right in front of 33 Tehama is a lot with storage modules. Hines said this is where they will store belongings for any resident who wants to move out.

Luz Pena: “There have been so many questions regarding security inside 33 Tehama and now we are talking about many residents having their belongings outside the building inside these modules.”

Paul Paradis: “Of course, and we will have great security here. So no one will enter this area that is not supposed to be here.”

Hines also confirmed, “33 Tehama pays for movers to pack and place items in pods for residents to pick up.”

RELATED: Residents of flooded luxury building in San Francisco may not be able to return home until 2023

In the past two months since the flooding of displaced residents, Hines has paid for their housing. However, on Wednesday that support ended.

Within the group of affected residents are 137 “below market price” homes. Hines said they will continue to help these residents through the end of the month. We spoke to one who did not want to be identified by name and said the hotel told her the hotel room was not extended. She said a representative for Hines told her not to worry.

“What do we do? We had to check and she said don’t check but don’t come down. You’re stressing people. You’re stressing me. They only extended it until tomorrow and he’s supposed to be extended until the 31st. So we’re supposed to sit here and let them do whatever they want,” the resident said.

We asked the Senior General Manager of Hines about the breakdown in communication reported by some residents.

RELATED: Residents Report Second Water Leak, Suspected Theft at Luxury SF Apartments

Luz Pena: “Hines has had a month to prepare for this deadline. So what would you say to BMR residents who are waiting for temporary housing?”

Paul Paradis: “We provide options for residents to review the options we provide. We work closely with the city, so there is a process in place.”

ABC7 News has contacted the San Francisco Housing Department regarding the 137 below market rate residents who have been relocated. The city said it implemented an emergency clearance plan to use existing vacant below-market-rate units in city buildings.

The city also confirmed that Hines was negotiating with five buildings across San Francisco to secure housing for those residents.

Regarding safety when contractors return inside apartments, Hines followed up after the interview and said “We removed access yesterday, rolled out the new plan to film all entrances to homes and ensure security accompanies access. We have units with water intrusion that require immediate attention. We have deployed enhanced security measures which include security escort and video when entering these homes. We will continue this practice during remediation work in occupied houses.”

If you’re on the ABC7 News app, click here to watch live

Copyright © 2022 KGO-TV. All rights reserved.



ABC7

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button