We have reached the critical moment in the group stage of Euro 2021. The final round of the group matches will determine which 16 teams advance to the round of 16 and which teams return home.
The teams that qualify for the round of 16 will be: the top two teams from each of the six groups, plus the top four third.
Group tiebreakers will come into play if the teams are tied on points. Here are the Euro 2021 tiebreakers that will be used if two or more teams finish with the same point total:
- Higher number of points obtained in matches played between the teams in question
- Greater goal difference resulting from matches played between the teams in question
- Most goals scored in matches played between the teams in question
- Higher goal difference in all group matches
- Most goals scored in all group matches
- Most wins in all group matches
- Lowest disciplinary point total based only on yellow (1 point) and red (3 points) received in all group matches
- Position in the general classification of European qualifiers
Tiebreakers are described on page 17 of the official Euros competition rules.
It is important to note that in the event that more than two teams are tied on points (e.g. a three or four tie), if there are still teams that are deadlocked after applying the breakages of equality nos. 1 to 3 above, then Nos. 1-3 are reapplied to specific teams that are still tied, and exclusively to matches between them. And if that still doesn’t break the tie, then numbers 4 to 8 will be applied to those same teams.
Given the clashes on the final day, the only potential scenarios that could lead to a three-way tie are for Group B and Group E.
Euro 2021 group standings