John Rudoff/AFP via Getty Images
Enrique Tarrio, who was the president of far-right extremist group the Proud Boys, has been arrested and charged with conspiracy for his alleged role in planning the January 6 bombing, the Justice Department announced on Tuesday.
Although Tarrio is not charged with having physically participated in the breach of the Capitol – or even with being in Washington D.C. at the time – the Justice Department said that Tarrio “conspired to obstruct, influence and obstruct de corrupt manner an official procedure, the certification of the college vote election.”
As the leader and creator of a special chapter of the Proud Boys known as the Ministry of Self-Defense, the 38-year-old “led the advance planning and kept in touch with other Proud Boys members. during their breach of the Capitol,” according to prosecutors.
The Justice Department also said it claimed responsibility for the attack on social media and in an encrypted chat room during and after the attack.
Tarrio was charged with one count of conspiracy to obstruct official process and another count of obstructing official process. He also faces two counts of assault, resisting or obstructing certain officers and destroying government property.
The Justice Department said Tarrio was named in a superseding indictment issued Monday in the District of Columbia, along with five previously charged defendants — Ethan Nordean, 31, of Auburn, Wash.; Joseph Biggs, 38, of Ormond Beach, Florida; Zachary Rehl, 36, of Philadelphia; Charles Donohoe, 34, of Kernersville, North Carolina; and Dominic Pezzola, 44, of Rochester, New York.
Tarrio was arrested in Miami and is set to appear in court for the first time in the Southern District of Florida.