Elon Musk asks judge to schedule trial on Twitter from October 17, orders company to produce ‘basic documents’


Elon Musk has asked a judge to schedule a five-day trial starting Oct. 17, not Oct. 10 as requested by Twitter, to resolve his bid to walk away from his $44 billion (roughly Rs. 3, 51,540 crore) to acquire the social media platform, according to a court filing on Tuesday.

A lawyer for Musk, the world’s richest person, said he was writing to ask the judge to “break the deadlock to allow things to move forward quickly”.

Twitter declined to comment.

Chancellor Kathaleen McCormick, chief justice of the Delaware Court of Chancery, last week ordered a trial in October, which promises to be one of Wall Street’s biggest legal fights in years. However, she left it to the parties to establish the precise timetable.

Musk, who is the chief executive of electric vehicle maker Tesla, had requested a trial in February, which he said gave him the time he needed for a thorough investigation into the fake Twitter accounts. He said the company misrepresented his user numbers and therefore breached the merger agreement, allowing him to walk away.

The company, which requested a trial in September, said the fake account issue was a distraction and the terms of the deal require Musk to pay.

Musk’s letter also asked the judge to order Twitter to immediately produce what he called “basic documents,” to demand that Twitter produce all raw data by August 1, and to demand that the company produce documents within 18 days of a request.

Musk accused Twitter of refusing to immediately provide documents such as manuals and policies regarding daily active user counts and artificial intelligence and “all elements of the data room”.

© Thomson Reuters 2022


Tech

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button