Skip to content
Easter holidays: 90% of reservations canceled in the country of Auray – Auray




All tourism professionals are unanimous. “This new confinement encompassing the Easter holidays could not be more badly”. All the more badly since the reservations in the campsites as for the hotels or the lodgings were, according to the owners “very well started”.

Since February, even if some hotels were closed on weekends, they worked weekdays with professionals. But above all they had the prospect of the spring holidays which launch the season in Brittany. The government’s announcements therefore sounded the death knell of this period for tourism and dashed the hopes of professionals who had already recorded many reservations. “Today it is very calm and activity is greatly reduced. This is the opposite of the February holidays when we had people in the country of Auray ”, estimates Jean-Michel Burow, director of the Best Western in Auray.

95% of rental contracts canceled

At the Gîtes de France, the same story goes. On the answering machine, a feature is even dedicated to cancellations that are done in cascades. “Over the period from April 3 to May 5, around 95% of the leases were canceled. The remaining 5% are generally contracts made for professional clients, ”says Yves Jéhanno, the manager of the Morbihan gîtes.

At Gîtes de France, over the period from April 3 to May 5, around 95% of rental contracts were canceled. (Telegram / François Destoc)

“We had started the year very well for the period from January to March with an advance compared to 2020 for the first three months”.

“During this period of confinement, we offered our customers either to postpone their stay to a later date or to reimburse their stay. Out of all cancellations, around 20% of customers have requested a postponement to 2021. Often for the All Saints holidays when they are stays of one week and after May 7 when it comes to short stays ”.

Here again, it is difficult to compare with February… “We had had quite a bit of last minute, even if it remained fairly calm”, emphasizes Ophélie in the booking department of the lodgings. But this time, only a few people chose to come during the entire confinement.

Ditto in campsites

In the campsites, morale is hardly better. For Denis Garcia, manager of the Moustoir and Lake campsites in Carnac, this confinement falls really badly.

Easter holidays: 90% of reservations canceled in the country of Auray – Auray
For Denis Garcia, manager of the Moustoir and Lake campsites in Carnac, this confinement falls really badly. (File photo / The Telegram)

“We had planned to open from April 17th. Of course today we have the right to open, but our customers are not allowed to travel more than 10 km… Complicated! We had 195 reservations for the Easter holiday period. As we fall into the case of force majeure, we are obliged to reimburse. Of course, we are proposing the postponement, but for some it was already postponed from last year ”. Of the 170 pitches on the campsite, 30 were reserved the first week, then between 80 and 90 the other two. “We should have finished full,” laments the owner. Very few people have chosen to come for a month.

What future ?

So what perspective? “We had started the year very well over the period from January to March with an advance compared to 2020 for the first three months and about + 10% compared to April 2019. If the confinement ends on the scheduled date, start May – but who still believes in it? – our activity should start again on a positive dynamic despite the lack of visibility, and last minute reservations ”, affirms Yves Jéhanno. However, “it is certain that the economic impact will be enormous for the region”, adds Denis Garcia, who is impatiently awaiting the summer… and the vaccines!

Support a professional editorial staff at the service of Brittany and the Bretons: subscribe from € 1 per month.

I subscribe





Source link