Skip to content
Durham Police indict 2 teenagers in murder of Person High student in April


Durham Police have charged two teenage boys with murder in an April 4 shootout on South Alston Avenue that killed a third teenager, according to a press release.

Police responding to a car crash at 12:41 that night found Ian Chance “Baby” Wells, 15, shot dead inside a car that had crashed at a construction site.

On Thursday afternoon, the department announced that a 16-year-old who was already in custody in Person County had been charged in the incident with a 15-year-old who was arrested in Raleigh. The police did not identify either of the two teenagers.

The police were charged with both murder, theft with a dangerous weapon, attempted theft with a dangerous weapon and conspiracy to commit theft with a dangerous weapon. Additionally, the 16-year-old was charged with possession of a motor vehicle while the 15-year-old was charged with assault by pointing a gun.

In the press release, investigators said they believed Wells was shot in a parking lot on the 300 block of South Alston Avenue and attempted to escape before crashing.

Wells was a freshman at Person High, The News & Observer reported. Wells sister Imani Taborn told News & Observer he grew up in Durham but moved to Roxboro a year before his death.

Taborn also told The News & Observer that his brother is adored by his entire family, including his siblings, nieces and nephews. On the night of his murder, Taborn said, Wells spent time with family members before leaving around 11 p.m.

Durham Police are still investigating the homicide, and anyone with information can call an investigator at 919-560-4440 or submit anonymous information by calling CrimeStoppers at 919-683-1200.



Source link