Dozens of 9/11 survivors and family members launch ad against Trump for hosting Saudi-backed golf tournament at his resort

Comment

Survivors of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and their family members launched an ad on Tuesday criticizing former President Donald Trump for hosting a Saudi-backed golf tournament at his New Jersey resort town.

In the ad, family members of those who lost their lives in the attack hold up photos of their deceased loved ones as they share the pain they are still enduring more than 20 years later.

“How much money to turn your back on your own country”, asks a woman.

“This golf tournament is 50 miles from Ground Zero,” one man said.

“It’s disgusting,” adds another woman.

More than 100 of those affected by the deadly attacks will travel to Trump National Golf Club Bedminster next week to protest the LIV golf event. The tour is funded by Saudi Arabia’s sovereign wealth fund, chaired by Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, an individual whom US intelligence has held responsible for the murder of Washington Post opinion writer Jamal Khashoggi.

CIA concludes Saudi crown prince ordered Jamal Khashoggi’s assassination

The group’s leaders requested a formal meeting with the former president to discuss his family’s ongoing relationship with the Saudi government, which Trump himself had previously blamed for the attacks. Trump began hosting the LIV series after the PGA Tour ended its deal to play the 2022 championship in Bedminster in the days following the Jan. 6 uprising at the U.S. Capitol by a pro-Trump mob.

A spokesperson for the president did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Trump, however, recently praised Saudi Arabia in the Wall Street Journal for investing in American business and sports.

“I think LIV has been good for Saudi Arabia, for Saudi Arabia’s image,” he said. “I think it’s going to be an incredible investment from that perspective, and it’s more valuable than a lot of other things because you can’t buy that, even with billions of dollars.”

Brett Eagleson, one of the founders of 9/11 Justice, a new group of hundreds of family members of victims and survivors of the attack, told the Post that the former president’s comments were “shameful.” and “flagrant”.

The group plans to hold a press conference and rally near the golf club on Friday to raise awareness of the Saudi government’s connection to the terrorist attacks that killed 3,000 people on US soil. Recently declassified documents from the US government’s investigation into the attacks provide clearer evidence of Saudi Arabia’s role in the attack involving 15 Saudi nationals.

Phil Mickelson absorbs Tiger Woods’ LIV Golf criticism with ‘respect’

Eagleson said he plans to call golfers attending the event, including Phil Mickelson and Dustin Johnson, for their participation.

“If it hadn’t been for the support these hijackers received from the Saudi government, 9/11 would never have happened,” he told the Post. “We want golfers to know who they’re doing business with, who they’re sleeping with, we want to be able to educate them and highlight the new evidence we have about the Saudi role in 9/11.”

“I will never forget, I will never forgive golfers for taking that blood money,” one man said in the ad.


Washington

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button