Nature

Dodgers’ Bauer suspended for 2 seasons for alleged assault

NEW YORK (AP) — Los Angeles Dodgers pitcher Trevor Bauer was suspended for two full seasons without pay by Major League Baseball on Friday for violating the league’s domestic violence and assault policy. sexual, which he denies.

Bauer’s lengthy suspension comes after a San Diego woman the pitcher met on social media alleged that Bauer beat and sexually abused her last year. Los Angeles prosecutors said in February there was insufficient evidence to prove the woman’s charges beyond a reasonable doubt.

“In the strongest possible terms, I deny any violation of the league’s domestic violence and sexual assault policy,” Bauer said in a statement Friday. “I am appealing this action and expect to prevail. As we have done throughout this process, my representatives and I respect the confidentiality of the proceedings.

If the suspension is upheld, Bauer will lose approximately $60 million in salary.

Earlier this week, Bauer sued his accuser in federal court, a decision that came less than three months after prosecutors decided not to press charges against the pitcher.

Bauer named the woman and one of her attorneys, Niranjan Fred Thiagarajah, as defendants in the lawsuit. The Associated Press does not generally identify people who say they have been sexually assaulted.

The pitcher was placed on administrative leave on July 2 under the joint MLB-players’ association policy on domestic violence and sexual assault. The leave has been extended several times.

Bauer continued to receive his $32 million salary while on leave.

After winning his first Cy Young Award with the Cincinnati Reds in 2020, Bauer agreed to a three-year, $102 million deal to join his hometown Dodgers. He did not pitch after June 29 and finished with an 8-2 record and a 2.59 ERA in 17 appearances. He received his $28 million salary last year.

“The Dodgers organization takes all allegations of this nature very seriously and does not condone or condone any act of domestic violence or sexual assault,” the team statement read. “We have fully cooperated with MLB’s investigation since its inception, and we fully support MLB’s Joint Policy on Domestic Violence, Sexual Assault and Child Abuse, as well as the enforcement of policy by the commissioner. We understand that Trevor has the right to appeal the commissioner’s decision. Therefore, we will not comment further until the process is complete.

___

More AP MLB: https://apnews.com/hub/MLB and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports




973espn-yourbasin

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button