Four days after the death of Diego Maradona, his doctor is the subject of an investigation for manslaughter, announced Sunday, November 29, the prosecutor’s office in San Isidro, near Buenos Aires. The former glory of Argentine football died on November 25, at the age of 60, of a cardiac arrest at his home.
The police raided the office and home of Doctor Leopoldo Luque on Sunday looking for evidence of possible professional negligence, according to the prosecution and images broadcast on television.
This questioning of Doctor Luque, who had operated on Maradona for a head bruise earlier this month, does not automatically imply police custody or deprivation of liberty, these judicial sources told Agence France-Presse (AFP).
Investigation after family statements
This investigation was triggered by statements from Dalma, Gianinna and Jana, three daughters from Maradona, on how the former footballer’s heart problem was managed at his residence in Tigre, north of the Argentine capital.
“We are continuing the investigations by collecting testimonies, including those of members of the family” of Diego Maradona, said a judicial source in San Isidro.
Doctor Luque, contacted by AFP, declined to comment.