Department of Labor targets over $45 billion in fraudulent coronavirus aid claims


Fraudsters may have escaped tens of billions of dollars from the US Department of Labor by filing claims in multiple states and using the Social Security numbers of people who died as aid was distributed during the coronavirus pandemic, a federal watchdog said Thursday.

Department Inspector General Larry Turner revealed his office identified $45.6 billion in potentially fraudulent unemployment insurance payments between March 2020 and April, UPI reports.

“Hundreds of billions in pandemic funds have attracted fraudsters seeking to exploit the Unemployment Insurance program, resulting in historic levels of fraud and other abusive payouts,” Turner said in a statement.

The watchdog also discovered that the Department of Labor paid more than $267.3 million in unemployment insurance benefits to federal prisoners and $140 million to nearly 206,000 social security numbers belonging to people. deceased.

The inspector general’s office said its 140 criminal investigators opened more than 190,000 investigations related to unemployment insurance fraud, resulting in charges being laid against more than 1,000 people, the UPI report adds. .

So far, the department has secured 400 convictions, representing more than 7,000 months of incarceration combined, he said.

The Department of Labor isn’t the only organization under investigation for handling fraudulent claims during the pandemic.

As Breitbart News reported, 47 people were charged Tuesday in Minnesota with conspiracy and other charges in what federal authorities say is the biggest fraud scheme to profit from $1.9 trillion. dollars of public funds released by the Biden administration during the coronavirus pandemic.

File/A week after FBI agents raided the offices of Minnesota nonprofit Feeding Our Future after accusing the group’s partners of defrauding the federal government of millions of dollars, evidence of the raid can be seen at the offices on Thursday, January 27, 2022 in St Anthony, Minn. Officers also raided the home of Feeding Our Future executive director Aimee Bock. (SHARI L. GROSS/Getty)

Among those charged is Aimee Bock, 41, founder and executive director of Feeding Our Future, a nonprofit that sponsored the federal child nutrition program.

The defendants are accused of stealing a shared total of $250 million from a federal taxpayer-funded program that provides meals to low-income children.

The defendants face a range of charges ranging from wire fraud to bribery and money laundering.

Follow Simon Kent on Twitter: or by e-mail to: [email protected]




Breitbart

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button