Pennsylvania Attorney General Josh Shapiro (D) has won the state gubernatorial race, according to projections.
Shapiro defeated Doug Mastriano, Republican gubernatorial candidate of Pennsylvania, backed by former President Donald Trump.
Mastriano defeated former Rep. Lou Barletta (R-PA) for Pennsylvania’s Republican gubernatorial primary, and many Republicans across the state have expressed concerns about Mastriano’s record and eligibility.
John Binder of Breitbart News laid out some of the issues with Mastriano’s candidacy:
- Mastriano was Shapiro’s preferred candidate.
- Many Pennsylvania swing voters said they would vote for Shapiro over Mastriano.
- Mastriano breaks the unity of the Republican Party in the state.
- Mastriano has called for the repeal of medical privacy laws during the 2020 coronavirus shutdowns.
- Mastriano may have committed campaign finance violations.
- Mastriano supported Law 77, which Gov. Tom Wolf (D) signed into law. The act dismissed many of the election issues facing the state.
Mastriano smeared Breitbart News:
In December 2021, following a report by Breitbart News noting questions regarding Mastriano’s campaign finances, the retired US Army colonel took to local radio to smear Breitbart News, Hannah Bleau, the journalist who wrote the article, and her Christian faith.
“…shame on her,” Mastriano said. “She professes on her Twitter page to be a Christian. If so, I can’t judge her heart here…this girl is very questionable and she compromises her integrity.
Mastriano then accused Breitbart News of sending his campaign a request for comment two to three hours before releasing the report regarding campaign finance issues.
After reviewing the communications, Breitbart News reported that a request for comment was sent to Mastriano’s director of communications, Joshua Hermann, who responded to the request within hours with a statement.
This statement was included in full in the report and the report was not published until a week later, indicating that Mastriano’s claims that he was caught off guard by Breitbart News are inaccurate.
Follow coverage of the 2022 midterm elections on Breitbart News.