David Warner withdraws appeal of directing ban after offensive hearing


David Warner has sensationally withdrawn a request to have his ban on directing Cricket Australia overturned.

And he took aim at the legal adviser assisting the independent panel for allegedly making “offensive comments” during a hearing last week.

Warner was hit with a lifetime ban from directing for his role in the infamous Cape Town ball tampering scandal in 2018.

EXCLUSIVE: Warner’s ‘disaster’ could spark ‘selfish’ appeal

READ MORE: Ronaldo on the bench castigated for childish act

THE MOLE: ‘Careers at risk’ as players caught in NRL stoush

Last month, Cricket Australia decided to make changes to its code of conduct which allowed the fiery opener to appeal his ban.

Warner filed to have his suspension overturned, but in a stunning twist on Wednesday, he announced he had withdrawn his appeal.

Warner took to Instagram to post a lengthy rant.

“My family is more important to me than cricket,” he said.

David Warner should have received the same punishment as Steve Smith following the 2018 ball-tampering saga, Ian Chappell has claimed. (Getty)

“In the past five years since the events of the third Test in Cape Town, even with all the humiliation and attack they have had to endure, I have had the unwavering support and love of my wife Candice and my three daughters, Ivy Mae, Indi Rae and Isla Rose, they are my world.

“Since that test and even though my ban on leadership roles may never be lifted, I have taken it upon myself to reform, rehabilitate and transform my approach to the game.

“I have served and endured a crushing and unprecedented sentence which has affected me and my family horribly for the past five years – with no prospect of relief so far.

“I remained hopeful and was encouraged to have the opportunity to demonstrate to the review board that I have demonstrated my deep regret and remorse, and that my rehabilitation and transformation are profound.

“I hoped that I would be given the opportunity, in accordance with the established practice and procedure of the code of conduct which is reflected in the amendments, to demonstrate that I have met the necessary requirements for a modification of my ban and that I could be allowed to see the balance of my career without the yoke hanging around my neck and more anguish for my family.

Warner hints at retirement plan

“Despite my and Cricket Australia’s opposition, on Tuesday last week the lawyers assisting the Review Panel and the Review Panel took it upon themselves to concoct an improper procedure (reversing presumptions and past practice) for the determination of my application and to establish a novel approach which would adversely impact the health and welfare of my family and the interests of the Australian cricket team.

“In his submissions, Assistant Counsel made offensive and unnecessary comments about me that had absolutely no substantive purpose under the Code of Conduct.

“Unfortunately, the review panel acted contrary to the arguments of Cricket Australia and my solicitor and appeared to adopt almost entirely the position of assistant solicitor.

“Indeed, the assistant solicitor and, it seems, to some extent the review committee, want to hold a public trial about me and what happened in the third test at Newlands. They want to organize a public spectacle for, in the words of the committee I’m not ready for my family to be cricket’s dirty laundry washing machine.

David Warner. (Tertius Pickard/AP)

“The Assistant Counsel and the Review Panel seemed determined to reverse the events of March 2018 and the Review Panel seemed determined to expose me and my family to further humiliation and harm by staging a media circus .”

Warner says last Thursday he submitted a request to the review panel to change that procedure and says he had the support of Cricket Australia.

But this request was refused and Warner therefore withdrew its candidacy.

‘It appears the panel has only been reviewing player welfare issues and the interests of Australian cricket and is instead determined to carry out a public lynching.’

Warner’s explosive statement comes on the eve of the second Test of the Australian summer.

Warner will line up with the Aussies at Adelaide Oval on Thursday to take on West Indies.

For a daily dose of the best news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by click here!


Sports Grp1

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button