USA News

court docs – NBC Chicago

Note: The video in the player above is from a previous report.

A 21-year-old Northbrook man charged in a fatal Glenview crash that left a high school student dead was ordered to remain in custody Saturday as court documents revealed disturbing details about the moments leading up to the accident.

Taeyoung Kim was arrested Friday evening and charged with the following crimes, police said:

  • Reckless homicide
  • Aggravated DUI Causing Death, Aggravated DUI Causing Serious Bodily Injury, and Reckless Driving
  • DUI, speeding and DUI with a blood alcohol level greater than 0.08
  • DUI involving drugs, improper lane use and failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident

The 21-year-old man appeared at a bail court hearing Saturday, where he was ordered to remain in custody.

According to court documents, Kim’s vehicle was equipped with a dashcam, which initially showed him driving his 2021 Ford Mustang alongside one of his friends, who was a passenger in the vehicle.

Kim’s dashcam first captured his vehicle around 8 p.m. Sunday as he drove near his home and then through downtown Chicago, according to court documents.

According to bond court, Kim’s dashcam captured the vehicle passing a red light on Roosevelt Road just before 11 p.m. before driving at a high speed on Ida B. Wells Drive, passing numerous vehicles before turning around.

From there, Kim’s vehicle merged onto westbound I-90/94 and continued to travel at a high rate of speed, passing numerous vehicles, according to court documents.

Kim’s vehicle then merged onto I-94 at the I-90/94 junction and continued traveling on the Edens Expressway until 11:06 p.m., when Kim’s vehicle exited at Lake Avenue in Glenview, officials said. revealed court documents.

At that point, Kim continued to drive westbound on Lake Avenue and passed another driver traveling in the same direction. According to court documents, that driver saw Kim’s vehicle increase speed and turn off its headlights.

According to the report, Kim continued toward the intersection of Lake Avenue and Meadow Lane, where the victims were in their vehicle at the intersection.

The vehicle was driven by Marko Niketic, 17, along with his 16-year-old girlfriend, who was in the passenger seat, according to court documents.

According to the filing, Niketic activated his left turn signal at that time and drove toward the intersection to turn onto Lake Avenue, actions that were captured on private surveillance camera.

As Niketic began to turn, Kim’s vehicle approached the intersection at immense speed, still with its headlights off. Just as Kim entered the intersection, the headlights came back on as Kim’s vehicle struck Niketic’s, according to court documents.

Prosecutors said the dashcam captured Kim’s vehicle entering the intersection before fading to black.

The front of Kim’s vehicle struck the driver’s side of Niketic’s car at a speed of 125 mph, causing Niketic’s vehicle to break in two, according to court documents.

The front half of Niketic’s vehicle remained on the roadway, while the rear half went through a fence and into a nearby yard, court documents showed.

According to the report, many nearby residents heard the impact of the crash and immediately called 911. Witnesses arriving on scene immediately afterward observed Niketic in his vehicle, appearing deceased.

Niketic’s girlfriend suffered serious injuries in the accident, including subarachnoid hemorrhage, brain hematoma, fractured pelvic vertebrae, and hyperdensity of the left frontal lobe of the brain with loss of consciousness and seizures. According to court documents, she was released from the hospital Friday.

The report says at least two witnesses saw Kim sitting in the driver’s seat of the Mustang, when he told a witness his first name and admitted he had been drinking. Kim’s passenger was seen lying on the ground, bleeding profusely at the time.

Following a response from police and paramedics, Niketic was pronounced dead at the scene, while Kim and his passenger were hospitalized along with Niketic’s girlfriend.

Kim’s passenger suffered a broken back and severed artery in the crash and made statements on a body-worn camera identifying Kim as the driver of the Mustang, according to court documents.

Kim suffered a fractured femur in the crash and later had a blood test while receiving medical treatment, which confirmed a blood alcohol level of 0.088, above the legal limit. The blood also showed cannabis in his system, court documents revealed.

When Kim’s Mustang was searched, the vehicle’s speedometer needle was stuck at 120 miles per hour, the maximum posted speed for the vehicle, according to court documents.

Officers discovered a bong, rolling papers, a single-use cannabis pipe with residue and two plastic containers with cannabis residue inside his vehicle, the offer revealed.

According to bail court, a search warrant was executed on the vehicle’s black box, which showed that Kim’s vehicle was traveling at 131 miles per hour just 2.5 seconds before impact, the speed recorded at the time of the crash. The impact being 122 miles per hour. . The posted speed limit on Lake Avenue at this location is 35 miles per hour.

Kim had a valid driver’s license at the time of the incident and has no criminal history aside from two minor traffic violations in Lake County from 2021 – one issued for speeding and the other for failure to comply with a traffic control device. Kim was placed under surveillance for both offenses.

According to Glenbrook South High School, the accident happened just days before Marko’s prom and three weeks before graduation.

Throughout the week, groups of emotional family and friends visited the crash site, many leaving candles, photos and bouquets of flowers at the scene.

“He’s one of those people, you meet him and he glows. The most genuine human ever,” said his friend Preston Shute, holding back tears. “He had a lot of things ahead of him. I can’t really figure it out.”

News Source :
Gn usa

jack colman

With a penchant for words, jack began writing at an early age. As editor-in-chief of his high school newspaper, he honed his skills telling impactful stories. Smith went on to study journalism at Columbia University, where he graduated top of his class. After interning at the New York Times, jack landed a role as a news writer. Over the past decade, he has covered major events like presidential elections and natural disasters. His ability to craft compelling narratives that capture the human experience has earned him acclaim. Though writing is his passion, jack also enjoys hiking, cooking and reading historical fiction in his free time. With an eye for detail and knack for storytelling, he continues making his mark at the forefront of journalism.
Back to top button