Cooper Roberts back home with his family after being shot at the 4th of July Parade in Highland Park


CHICAGO (CBS) – Cooper Roberts, the 8-year-old boy who was shot dead during the July 4 parade in Highland Park, is back home after numerous surgeries and weeks of rehabilitation.

Roberts’ parents, Jason and Keely, made the announcement Thursday saying they were filled with “gratitude, love and integrity” that Cooper was able to return home with his twin brother, four sisters and her French bulldog, George.

“There was a time, not too long ago, when we prayed desperately and feverishly that Cooper would live,” the family said. “To be able to have Cooper home and our family all together again is an incredible blessing.”

Seven people were also killed in the shooting. Roberts was one of dozens injured.

The family said Roberts underwent life-saving surgery on July 4 at Highland Park Hospital. He also stayed at Comer Children’s Hospital and the Shirley Ryan Ability Lab. He had to be fully intubated and put on a ventilator just to breathe several times.

Roberts also had “numerous” follow-up surgeries. He went days without eating, then had to go on a liquid diet before he could eat again. He also continues to undergo “rigorous” daily rehabilitation to treat his broken vertebrae, severe spinal cord injury and paralysis from the gunshot wound.

The family set up a GoFundMe to help pay for Cooper’s medical bills. So far he has raised over $2 million.


chicago

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button