Conservative Julian Knight cleared by police of aggravated sexual assault allegation | Political news
Tory MP Julian Knight has said he was cleared by police after an allegation of aggravated sexual assault.
Mr Knight, who had been chairman of the House of Commons Digital, Culture, Media and Sport Committee before the allegation came to light, said it was a ‘unique claim , false and malicious”.
He also attacked his party’s whips for naming him publicly when the story broke, saying their actions ‘meant my name was dragged through the mud and my good name damaged immeasurably’.
Asked about Mr Knight’s case, the Metropolitan Police said they would not confirm the names of anyone under investigation.
But the force released a statement, saying: “On October 28, 2022, police received allegations of aggravated sexual assaults against anonymous victims which allegedly took place on unknown dates at undisclosed locations.
“On December 7, 2022, a new referral relating to the incident(s) was made and an investigation was opened.
“The police are no longer investigating.”