A child was fatally shot Thursday night while having dinner with his family in a parked car in an incident police say was aimed at someone else.
Police say 12-year-old Kade Lewin was shot in the head while sitting in a parked car in East Flatbush, New York, New York Police Department (NYPD) officials said during of a press conference.
The boy was pronounced dead at the scene and no arrests have been made. Police have also released no description of a potential suspect.
An NYPD spokesperson said Newsweek Saturday that there were no updates and the investigation was continuing.
The child’s 20-year-old cousin, who was sitting in the car with him, was also injured after being shot multiple times. Police said she is expected to survive. Lewin’s cousin, 8-year-old Kylie Thompson, who was also in the car, was not hit by gunfire, police said.
Authorities believe the shooter drove around the block at least once in a stolen car that had out-of-state parking spots before he began shooting and falsely punching the victims, the New York Post reported.
A witness identified by the To post as Rodde said she heard seven to 10 gunshots before running to the scene where she found the boy’s mother, Suzette Lewin, holding her son in her arms.
“I can see he was dead. I saw him in front of the passenger seat with blood on his head. The mother was touching him and saying ‘help me, help me’, but I couldn’t do anything because that I could see the child was dead,” Rodde said.
The shooting sparked outrage from family and local officials, including New York State Senator Zellnor Myrie, who called on the state to set up community safety funds.
“Our hearts hurt, bleed that we had this boy taken away from us. Today we cry. Tomorrow the state must put its money where it says,” the senator said at a press conference Friday. “We’ve got a $216 billion budget that’s behind schedule… You want to talk to me about public safety, you want to lecture our community on public safety, put that fucking money into community time.”
He also tweeted on Friday: “I hate these press conferences. I’m sick of it. Sick of standing up for the humanity of our young boys who are victims of gun violence. Today we grieve with the family. Tomorrow we demand a *real* support for the community in THIS year’s budget. 12 years. Rest in peace.”
Meanwhile, New York Mayor Eric Adams also condemned the shooting at a Thursday news conference and vowed to catch the shooter.
“We lost a 12 year old boy in Brooklyn tonight. He was having dinner with his relatives. It’s insane. to put the safety of the innocent first,” he wrote on Twitter.
At another Friday press conference where the mayor provided an update on COVID-19, Adams again spoke about the shooting, saying, “Sitting down, eating in a car shouldn’t be a death sentence. “
“It’s horrible to get shot multiple times on a young woman, you know, our hearts go out to the family – to get shot at a young boy – and when you watch the video it’s horrible how it happened … and we are going to find the people involved,” he said.
New York City has seen a 17% increase in shootings this year compared to the same time last year, the To post reported, citing NYPD data.