A city-wide singing competition organized by the Chicago Department of Cultural Affairs and Special Events is set to kick off Sunday, October 9 at 18 different venues across the city.
“Chicago Sings Karaoke” is open to all city residents 21 and older. The month-long competition will consist of two rounds, with the grand champion being crowned City Karaoke Champion with a $5,000 prize.
The first round will be hosted by 18 different venues on two different weekdays and weekends from October 9-11 and October 16-18.
Each of the 18 venues will pick a single semi-finalist to advance to the second round.
The following locations and dates are for the first round of Chicago Sings Karaoke:
- Sunday, October 9: At Simone’s960 W. 18th St. Louie’s Pub1659 W. North Ave. Lincoln Lodge2040 N. Milwaukee Ave.
- Monday, October 10: Paths1659 W Cullerton Cove Lounge1750 E. 55th St. 5 stars2908 W. 59th St.
- Tuesday, October 11: The Reed Local3017 W.Belmont Taquizo1835 West of North Avenue. Marz Bar3630 S. Iron St.
- Sunday October 16: Downtown Lounge, 1136W. Lawrence Ave. Randy’s living room7512 S. Cottage Grove Uproar1252 N. Wells St.
- Monday, October 17: Live Wire Show3394 N. Milwaukee Ave. by Zoe5518 S. Archer Ave. All Star Seafood and Sports730 S. Clark Street
- Tuesday, October 18: Mini club8338 S. Halsted St. Mi Tierra2528 S. Kedzie Ave. Innjoy2200 N. Milwaukee Ave.
The second round of the Chicago Sings Karaoke will take place on Sunday, October 23, with all 18 semi-finalists performing at one of three venues across the city. From there, each of the three venues will choose two artists to advance to the final round.
The final round will take place on Sunday, November 6 at Park West at 322 W. Armitage Avenue, where the six finalists will perform in front of city officials, music industry professionals and celebrities.
City officials have listed the following eligibility requirements to participate in Chicago Sings Karaoke:
1. Participating contestants agree to sign a liability waiver and press release on site to participate.
2. Entrants must be a Chicago resident, 21 years of age or older, and provide government-issued identification onsite at the venue.
3. Competitors must be available to perform on October 23 and November 6 if they advance to the next round of the competition.
4. One entry per person per night. Competitors must sing two (2) songs to compete, one (1) first round, (1) second round.
5. Competitors will compete in the order in which they registered on the day of the event. Performance slots and times may be limited.
6. No songs containing profanity will be allowed.
7. Original songs and compositions may not be performed.
8. The competition is open to amateurs only. No one touring in local and/or national productions or with a current or previous record deal is eligible to enter.
9. By entering the contest, entrants consent to having their photo taken and their performance being filmed, shared online or via social media.
10. The People’s Stage Karaoke and the City of Chicago reserve the right to use all names, photos, videos, music and information acquired during the Chicago Sings Karaoke contest in any promotional materials.
11. Participants must always use family language on stage and must not engage in confrontational, unsportsmanlike, or inappropriate behavior or communication with The People’s Stage Karaoke and staff, judges, audience members, or other participants. Any violation of this policy, as determined solely by an official representative of The People’s Stage Karaoke, will result in the participant’s immediate and permanent disqualification, which is irreversible and non-negotiable.
12. Employees of all participating locations and production team affiliates are not eligible to compete.
Information on how to register can be found here.