Chicago City Council approves earlier curfew for residents under 18 – NBC Chicago

After an often contentious floor debate, the Chicago City Council passed a new weekend curfew for city residents, bringing it down from 11 p.m. to 10 p.m. on weekends.

The new order will also raise the age of residents affected by the curfew from 16 and under to 17 and under, officials said.

The move was part of new strategies deployed by Chicago Mayor Lori Lightfoot after a 16-year-old boy was fatally shot during a large rally in Millennium Park earlier this month.

Lightfoot had issued a new executive order moving the weekend curfew from 11 p.m. to 10 p.m. and expanding it to include all residents under the age of 18.

The measure was approved by a 30-19 vote by the Chicago City Council on Wednesday.

“As a city, we need to make sure our young people have safe spaces to gather and that in those spaces they are peaceful and actually safe,” Lightfoot said in a statement. “We all need to model and uphold the respect and peace we expect from our young people.”

Several aldermen spoke out against the bill in city council chambers, and the American Civil Liberties Union, which opposed the curfew and a measure that barred unaccompanied minors from entering the Millennium Park after 6 p.m. on weekends released a statement criticizing the measure.

“It’s disconcerting that a majority of Chicago City Council members have adopted a curfew strategy that everyone knows won’t work to reduce violence,” said attorney Alexandra Block of the ACLU in a statement. “All the available evidence shows that curfews don’t work and can even make neighborhoods more dangerous by emptying the streets.”

We’ll know more about this story as it develops.

NBC Chicago

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button