Authorities say 10 students fell ill at Chester Community Charter School on Wednesday morning.
The students were transported to an area hospital and then released.
It remains unclear how the students gained access to the edibles.
Police say charges are pending against a woman.
Further details of the incident have not been released.
The school, which serves students in kindergarten through grade 8, released this statement:
“Dear CCCS Parents:
Last week, I released a video statement to bring to your attention an issue threatening our students across America: the distribution of harmful illegal substances that appear to be normal candy. There are predators who package drugs in a way that targets kids who don’t know it.
This morning, a CCCS student reported to a school official that a number of other students had ingested candies said to contain THC, a marijuana product. All affected students were quickly identified and transported to a local hospital for observation. Positive contact was immediately established with the parents/guardians of each student.
At this time, all students are stable and monitored by medical professionals. Their director and teacher are also on hand to support families. We ask that the families’ privacy be respected.
This incident should serve as an important reminder to all parents to be on the lookout for products disguising harmful substances. Parental vigilance is the first step in protecting our children.
You should be aware that there are very serious implications for students and parents involved in the distribution of these products. These are illegal drugs. A thorough investigation into this event will be conducted in coordination with local authorities. I would also like to commend our staff and our resource officer for a quick reaction and a caring response.”
Copyright © 2022 WPVI-TV. All rights reserved.