Skip to content
Capitol rioters face consequences of their ‘selfie sabotage’

Mr. Biggs’ activities that day have been widely reported by himself and others. His walk from the Washington Monument was filmed by Eddie Block, a proud boy on a motorized scooter who rolled behind and identified Mr. Biggs and others in his commentary. Mr. Biggs has appeared in photographs several times and checked in while walking up the Capitol steps.

It was a long roundabout road that brought him to this point. Mr Biggs, 37, also known as Rambo, was a DJ in Florida, “running around nightclubs all the time dancing ecstasy” before joining the military in 2007, said he declared in his broadcasts. He was deployed to Iraq for a year, then to Afghanistan. He made his media debut after leaving active service in 2012.

In 2008, Michael Hastings, a reporter in Mr. Biggs’ unit in Afghanistan, encouraged him to take up a media role upon his return to the United States, Mr. Biggs said. Before Mr. Hastings died in a car crash in 2013, he wrote a profile of General Stanley McChrystal for Rolling Stone which ended the general’s military career.

Mr. Biggs ‘breakup came after fueling conspiracy theories around Mr. Hastings’ death. Mr Jones invited him to Infowars, the far-right radio and online show that incites conspiracy.

Mr Biggs joined Infowars in 2014, traveling to racial justice protests in Ferguson, Missouri the following year and the occupation of Malheur Wildlife Refuge in Oregon by far-right armed extremists in 2016. Accompanying Mr. Jones to the Republican 2016 National Convention, Mr. Biggs crashed into a crash with Communist protesters, including one who burned an American flag.

He and another Infowars associate claimed they were burned while trying to put out the fire. In a video full of profanity titled “Joe ‘Rambo’ Biggs: Commie Crushing Crusader!” Mr Biggs said he ‘jumped over’ the ‘cops’, tore the protester’s shirt and gave him a ‘pounding’.

Still, police charged protester Gregory “Joey” Johnson with tortious assault.

When Mr Johnson’s lawyers saw the videos with Mr Biggs’ allegations, they demanded that the assault charges against Mr Johnson be dropped, which they were. Mr Johnson sued the city of Cleveland and its police, claiming they violated his First Amendment rights. He received a settlement of $ 225,000.

Source link