Canelo Alvarez says he will face the Gennady Golovkin trilogy fight next with the date revealed, then look to face Dmitry Bivol afterwards.


Canelo Alvarez has given a very strong indication that his next fight will be the clash of the trilogy with Gennady Golovkin, rather than the rematch with Dmitry Bivol.

The Mexican superstar signed a deal earlier this year with plans to defeat WBA light-heavyweight champion Bivol on May 7 and then win back GGG again at super middleweight on September 17.

Canelo and Golovkin seem ready to see each other again
Getty Images – Getty

However, the Russian ruined those initial plans by comfortably outscoring Canelo to defend his belt.

As part of their contract, Canelo had a rematch clause to force Bivol to face him again next.

However, he apparently chooses to go in a different direction at the moment and will instead return to super middleweight and defend his undisputed WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO world titles against his old nemesis Golovkin.

Canelo heavily hinted at the move during a press conference to promote a new golf venture in Mexico on Monday.

He began by confirming that he still intended to return to the ring on September 17, as originally planned.

When asked if he will still face GGG, Canelo replied: “Surely yes.

Canelo Alvarez says he will face the Gennady Golovkin trilogy fight next with the date revealed, then look to face Dmitry Bivol afterwards.
Bivol was too good for Canelo in a weight class where the Mexican was out of his comfort zone
Ed Mulholland/Matchroom

“We already had this contract, this agreement, so we have to continue what we started.

“And I think those are the two most important fights in boxing – the fight with Golovkin and the rematch with Bivol because unfortunately we lost, but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to try again.

“The important thing here is perseverance and we will do it again…

“What is certain is that we will be back in September and these days, today, tomorrow, the day after tomorrow we will announce the fight, only we have to wait a bit.”

Canelo Alvarez says he will face the Gennady Golovkin trilogy fight next with the date revealed, then look to face Dmitry Bivol afterwards.
Canelo and Golovkin have shared two epic battles so far
GETTY

Canelo and Golovkin shared a fantastic rivalry in 2017 and 2018 with two exciting middleweight title fights.

GGG looked certain to have won the first encounter, only for a controversial judgment call to rule a draw.

The second time around, Canelo was fearless in his approach and made the contest much closer, securing a narrow majority decision victory.

Now the pair seem ready to meet again and finally settle the score.

Boxing on talkSPORT

Visit YouTube for more talkSPORT dedicated boxing content where you’ll find exclusive interviews with Tyson Fury, Eddie Hearn and Jake Paul, plus our very own boxing insider.

OFFER OF THE DAY

Bet365: Bet €10 on any sport, get €50 free bets* CLAIM HERE

Account opening offer. Bet €10 and get €50 free bets for new customers at bet365. Minimum deposit requirement. Free bets are paid out as betting credits and can be used when settling qualifying bets. Minimum odds, betting and payment method exclusions apply. Returns exclude wagering bet credits. Deadlines and terms and conditions apply 18+ Begambleaware.org


Sports

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.
Back to top button