Canada detected a spy balloon over its airspace and is monitoring a “second incident”
Canada confirmed the detection of an alleged high-altitude spy balloon and “monitors the existence of a possible second incident” related to this eventThe Canadian Department of Defense reported in a statement.
“A high-altitude surveillance balloon has been detected and NORAD (the US-Canada North American Aerospace Defense Command) is actively tracking its movements,” the statement explained.
“Canadians are safe and Canada is taking steps to ensure the safety of its airspaceincluding surveillance of a possible second incident”, adds the note that does not specify more details about this possible new case.
The Department of National Defense of Canada advertisement who works together with USA to protect the country from potential intelligence threats following detection by Washington of a surveillance balloon at high altitude, reported the Canadian chain CTVNews.
The US announced Thursday that it detected a chinese spy balloonwhich flew over its territory at a high altitude and that “does not pose any military or physical risk” for anyone who is on the surface.
The Department of National Defense and the Canadian Armed Forces issued a joint statement in which they assured that the movements of the balloon were being actively tracked by the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD).
The statement to which you refer “CTVNewsIt does not mention China, nor does it indicate whether the surveillance balloon flew over Canadian airspace.
According to a statement issued by the NORAD “Canada is taking steps to ensure the airspace safetyincluding monitoring of a possible second incident.”
“NORAD, the Canadian Armed Forces, the Department of National Defense and other partners have been assessing the situation and working in close coordination,” the statement said.
“Canada’s intelligence agencies are working with US partners and continue to take all necessary steps to safeguard the Canada Confidential Information of foreign intelligence threats,” he added.
For his part, a high-ranking US Defense official assured this Thursday in a telephone conversation with several journalists that they believe that the balloon belongs to China and that the US president, Joe Bidenwas informed about it.
In fact, the president asked about possible “options” to the US military leaders, while the Secretary of Defense, Lloyd Austinmet with the leadership of the Pentagondespite the fact that he was traveling through the Philippines.
The Defense official stated that after the detection of the balloon they have been in contact with Chinese officials through various channels, such as the respective Chinese and US embassies in Washington Y Beijing.
“We have conveyed to them the seriousness with which we take this matter,” remarked the source, who added that the US “will do whatever is necessary to protect its people and its territory.”
The very source of the Pentagon He said the Chinese balloon entered US airspace “a couple of days ago” but US intelligence had been tracking it long before that.
Both the head of the US Joint Chiefs of Staff, General Mark Milley, and the leader of the Northern Command, General Glen VanHerck, recommended “not taking any kinetic action” because of the risk it could pose to people on the surface, due to the possible fall of debris from the balloon.
Beijing it has already sent surveillance balloons to US soil in the past. However, the latter has remained in Washington airspace much longer.
The detection of this Chinese artifact occurs before the US Secretary of State, Anthony Blinkenbegins a two-day visit to China this Sunday, the first trip by a US foreign minister to the Asian country since 2018.
(With information from EFE and AFP)