California woman dies after using toxic, lead-filled hemorrhoid cream

California health officials are warning the public about a Vietnamese hemorrhoid ointment containing an “extremely dangerous amount of lead” that killed a Sacramento woman.

California Department of Health officials said in a statement written statement that the woman purchased the Vietnamese product in March via Facebook. A relative then shipped it to him from Vietnam. After using the ointment, the woman experienced symptoms related to lead poisoning and died.

The Vietnamese product, presented in a small, round, green container, is called Cao Bôi Trĩ Cây Thầu Dầu (castor oil hemorrhoid extract). Health officials said samples of the product showed the ointment contained about 4 percent lead, a “very dangerous amount.”

Health officials say it’s unclear whether the product is sold in California, but they urge residents not to use it or stop using it if they have the cream at home.

“We also recommend a blood lead test for all family members, especially children, as they may come into contact with the ointment,” officials wrote in the release.

Lead can be absorbed through the skin, causing mild to moderate symptoms such as fatigue and difficulty sleeping or concentrating, as well as severe symptoms such as stomach cramps, seizures and coma.

The Orange County Health Agency sent out a public health alert Monday warning residents about the Vietnamese ointment.

News Source :
Gn Health

Back to top button