“We won’t bring him back, but action today is essential,” California Attorney General Rob Bonta said Thursday. “We need to have full, thorough, impartial and fair reviews of the shootings of the officers involved.”
Thursday’s announcement comes months after family members and activists called on the state to conduct an independent investigation into the shooting.
Bonta’s office said the Solano County District Attorney “had unilaterally abdicated his responsibility as elected district attorney and refused to conduct a review of the Vallejo Police Department’s investigation into the incident.”
CNN has contacted Solano District Attorney Krishna A. Abrams for comment.
“Without accountability, there is no justice,” Bonta said in a statement. “It is high time the family of Sean Monterrosa, the community and the people of Vallejo got answers. They deserve to know where it stands. Instead, they were greeted in silence. It is time for that to change; It’s time to act . “
The investigation by local authorities into the shooting was completed in March and was handed over to the Attorney General’s office, but “no relevant authority has committed to review the investigation and apply the law to the facts of the shooting. this investigation and to make a decision in accordance with the law and the facts, ”Bonta said.
Monterrosa’s family said it was an emotional day for them. They said they were “relieved that action is finally being taken” after nearly a year after the deadly shooting.
“It is incredibly meaningful to finally receive the respect our family and Sean deserved for these nearly 12 months. We have made deep sacrifices to get to this point,” the family said in a statement.
The family noted that there are many other families in California who have been affected by police violence and “whose calls for accountability have gone unanswered.”
“Today, Attorney General Bonta gave us hope that his office is ready to begin this long march to justice, for Sean Monterrosa and all victims of police violence,” the family said.
The police department said it was “grateful” that state officials are investigating the alleged destruction of evidence. Vallejo Police Chief Shawny Williams said in a statement last year that he was “deeply disappointed with the turn of events which led to the windshield not being kept” and that an investigation internal was opened.
CNN has contacted the attorney general’s office to inquire about the status of this investigation.