Brighton host Newcastle in the Premier League this weekend, with both sides looking to build on their positive start to the season.
The Seagulls ensured Erik ten Hag suffered defeat on his Manchester United debut while the Magpies swept Nottingham Forest.
Brighton secured their first-ever win at Old Trafford with a 2-1 win as Newcastle secured a comfortable 2-0 triumph over the newly promoted side.
Toon boss Eddie Howe will be bolstered by his superb record at the Amex, where he recorded his biggest away win of his career while in charge of Bournemouth in 2019.
Newcastle are set to wear a special shirt for this weekend’s trip to Brighton due to this season’s three stripes dispute.
Brighton vs Newcastle: talkSPORT commentary
This Premier League clash will take place on Saturday, August 13.
talkSPORT 2 will have exclusive live coverage of the Amex showdown which begins at 3pm.
Dan Windle will be your presenter while commentary will come from Ian Danter and former Arsenal winger Perry Groves.
To tune into talkSPORT or talkSPORT 2 via the website click HERE for the live stream. You can also listen through the talkSPORT app, on DAB digital radio, through your smart speaker and on 1089 or 1053 AM.
Most Read Football
Rashford wanted by PSG, Rabiot at Man United in danger, Chelsea charge for De Jong
Christensen returns to Chelsea shirt on Instagram and deletes Barcelona post
‘It’s getting worse’ – Jordan reacts to damning De Jong update as Chelsea battle Man United
Players once took pay cuts to join Man United but now the club’s ‘prestige’ is gone
Ronaldo shows his fitness as he appears to beat young Man United team-mates in race
Arsenal target Aouar receives ‘concrete’ offer from rival Premier League club
Brighton v Newcastle: Team News
The hosts didn’t look like they missed out on former star men Yves Bissouma and Marc Cucurella in the win over United.
Graham Potter otherwise has the same options as last week, with Jakub Moder the only long-term absentee.
As for Newcastle, Jonjo Shelvey will be out for the next few months after undergoing surgery on a hamstring injury.
Emil Krafth and Jamaal Lascelles are both struggling with minor thigh issues, but neither appear to be a serious issue.
Brighton v Newcastle: what has been said?
Gabby Agbonlahor has discussed Howe’s decision not to remove Jamaal Lascelles from the Newcastle captaincy following Aston Villa boss Steven Gerrard taking the armbar from Tyrone Mings.
He told talkSPORT: “I think first of all Paul McGrath is a legend of the game and of Aston Villa, but Steven Gerrard is the manager. He decides who he plays. If he doesn’t want to play Tyrone Mings, he doesn’t play him.
“He is in charge, he is there to make the big decisions. There must be a reason behind it. Has he seen enough of it in his nine months at Aston Villa that it isn’t for him?
“Did he know two weeks before the start of the season that he would not start?
“I know at Newcastle Lascelles is still captain and he’s not a starter, but you want to name a captain who you think will play every game.
“John McGinn will play every game, he is one of the best players at Aston Villa so I understand Gerrard gave him the armband.”
Brighton v Newcastle: Match Facts
- 16% of Newcastle striker Callum Wilson’s Premier League goals have come in August (10/62). Of the current players, only Raheem Sterling (14) and Jamie Vardy (11) have scored more Premier League goals in August than Wilson.
- Brighton’s Pascal Groß has scored four goals in his last four Premier League games, as many as he had scored in his previous 79 appearances in the competition. 15 of his 19 Premier League goals have come in home games, with his brace at Manchester United on the opening weekend doubling his away tally.
- Newcastle boss Eddie Howe has won five Premier League games against Brighton, his most against a single opponent with Everton. His biggest top-flight away win of his career came at the Amex Stadium in April 2019 as manager of Bournemouth (5-0).
- Newcastle have taken more shots (23) and more shots on target (10) than any other Premier League side in the first round of games, well above their per-game averages from last season (11.8 shots, 3.9 framed).
- Prior to this season, Newcastle had lost their opening two league games in four of the last six campaigns. Following their 2-0 win over Nottingham Forest this season, they are looking to win their opening two league games for the first time since 1997-98.
- Brighton are looking to win three consecutive Premier League games for the second time, previously in October 2018. The Seagulls have won six of their last nine league games (D2 L1), earning victories at Arsenal, Tottenham and Manchester United in this Course .
- Newcastle have won five away Premier League games so far in 2022, already more than they won on the road in 2021 (4). The Magpies won more Premier League away games in a single calendar year in 2013 (7).
- Brighton ended the 2021-22 campaign with two home league wins, beating Manchester United and West Ham United. The Seagulls have won three games in a row at the Amex Premier League Stadium in October and November 2019.
- Fresh off a 2-1 win in March, Newcastle are looking to secure back-to-back league wins over Brighton for the first time since beating them twice in the 2016-17 league campaign.
- Brighton have never lost a Premier League game at home to Newcastle in five previous encounters (W2 D3), facing West Ham just as often without losing at the Amex Stadium in the competition.
Paddy Feed Tenders
ALL CUSTOMERS: Bet £5 via the talkSPORT EDGE app with Paddy Power and get a £5 free bet – available to all customers* – CLAIM HERE
NEW CUSTOMERS: Bet £10 on the Premier League, get £40 free bets* – CLAIM HERE
All Customers: Place a bet on £5 Sportsbook via the talkSPORT EDGE app between 1st and 31st August. Get a €5 free bet on the Monday following your qualifying bet. Terms and conditions apply. 18+ Begambleaware.org
New customers: new customer offer. Place a £10 Premier League sports bet from Wednesday August 10 to Monday August 15, odds 1/2 (1.5) — get £40 free bets, valid for 30 days. Only deposits via cards will be eligible. Free bets will be awarded after settlement of the qualifying bet. The T&Cs apply. Please gamble responsibly. 18+ Begambleaware.org
SEE MORE FREE BET OFFERS HERE