Zach Wilson was 8 for 24 on Sunday. But then the fourth quarter came.
Wilson went 10-for-12 for 128 yards, a touchdown and led two touchdown passes when it mattered most. The Jets won 24-20 in Pittsburgh after leading 20-10 early in the final quarter. While the Jets’ second-year QB looked rusty midway through this game, he was good early and late and the Jets are now 2-2. Next week’s game against the Dolphins at MetLife Stadium just got a whole lot more intriguing.
To break down the Jets’ second win of the season, we bring you a new episode of the “Gang’s All Here” podcast featuring Brian Costello and me.
Gang’s All Here Podcast with Jake Brown and Brian Costello:
- GOOD VICTORY MONDAY: The Jets didn’t play particularly well for much of that game, but Wilson showed poise and composure in the fourth quarter. He made some great throws and clutches on third and fourth downs. And we finally saw a trickery from Mike LaFleur on Braxton Berios TD’s reverse double pass to Wilson.
- REINFORCED D JETS: Great job from Jets safeties, including an interception from Jordan Whitehead and two from LaMarcus Joyner. Their pass rush was much better, ending up with three sacks. The only thing the defense really did wrong was Carl Lawson roughing up the passer to end the first half, which led to a field goal.
- MITCHELL/O-LINE: Max Mitchell will be out for several weeks. The Jets badly need Duane Brown next week. Conor McDermott had to step up and play a lot. They did a decent job of protecting Wilson, but were lucky that he was able to escape a lot and get rid of the ball.
- AFC EAST GETS INTERESTING: If the Jets can beat Teddy Bridgewater and the Dolphins on Sunday at East Rutherford, they’ll be 3-2 and in contention for first place in the division. Any Jets fan will sign up for this, despite some of the lousy football we’ve seen in the first four games.
- RIP MARVIN POWELL AND JIM SWEENEY: Both were devices on the Jets offensive line and great people. RIP to two Jets legends.
CatCheck out all the episodes of “Gang’s All Here,” a New York Jets podcast, by subscribing to the podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, or wherever you get your podcasts. Follow Coz and Jake on Twitter @BrianCoz and @JakeBrownRadio. New episodes of “Gang’s All Here” drop Monday and Thursday mornings.
New York Post