Skip to content
Brazilian footballers flee Ukraine (VIDEO) – RT Sport News


A group of Brazilian footballers stranded in a Kyiv hotel bunker with their families finally managed to flee the scene to safety after the intervention of UEFA and the Ukrainian Football Federation.

Shakhtar Donetsk defender Marlon Santos confirmed the development by posting a video on Instagram from inside the train.

The group heads for the city of Chernivtsi in western Ukraine, which provides access to the borders shared with Romania and Moldova.

Santos’ wife Maria Paula Marinho also showed off part of the trip during an Instagram live session.

“All of us who were in a hotel bunker in Kiev managed to get out of there,” Marlon confirmed.

“The Brazilian embassy gave us this option of the train. [But] who ensured all the security escorted to the station, it was UEFA, in collaboration with the Ukrainian Football Federation. Thank you all. [There are] no words to thank you.

“Now we are all on the train for a trip to the city of Chernivtsi in western Ukraine, 535 kilometers from Kiev, near the borders of Romania and Moldova. Keep praying for us. “

The group of around 50 Brazilian players and their families, with children aged from a few months to six and seven years old, took a metro to the station before embarking for Chernivtsi.

They were informed of a possible transport out of the Ukrainian capital at around 9 a.m. local time, as the Brazilian Embassy’s Telegram channel broadcast information about trains leaving various cities in the country amid the crisis. Russian military operation.


Brazilian media such as UOL later reported that the group managed to catch the train, which is expected to take around 11 hours to reach its destination before a bus provided by the Brazilian Embassy helps them cross the border.

The successful evacuation of the group from Kiev comes after they initially refused to take transport offered to them by the Brazilian Foreign Ministry, known as Itamaraty.

“We are still in the Opera Hotel bunker in Kiev,” Marlon confirmed around 2 a.m. Saturday morning. “We didn’t try to have the train organized by the Brazilian embassy. It would have been high risk for all of us.”

“We were told the train at the last minute and without any security strategy”, Football agent Augusto Nogueira, who represents Shakhtar’s new right-back, 18-year-old Vinicius Tobias, told UOL.

“It was not feasible to go out and everyone to move. Even more so at that time. We are still here,” he added. Nogueira added, while citing the lack of security, that the group had to head towards Kiev Central Station as bombs could be heard from the Opera Hotel, where food and water supplies would run out.

Marlon claimed that every member of the group who was in the Opera Hotel bunker managed to get away, including Shakhtar striker Junior Moraes.

While other players and their relatives should be able to cross the border easily, however, Moraes could face difficulties as he took Ukrainian citizenship in 2019.

Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky has banned male citizens between the ages of 18 and 60 from leaving the country as part of a 90-day comprehensive military mobilization plan, with Ukrainian Premier League organizers announcing earlier in the day. week that the competition would be interrupted. for at least a month.


RT

Not all news on the site expresses the point of view of the site, but we transmit this news automatically and translate it through programmatic technology on the site and not from a human editor.