Boy, 13, arrested for murder along with 14-year-old after ‘kind and caring’ 14-year-old stabbed to death
- Police were called to the incident at around 6.05pm on Friday in Manchester.
- Anyone with information about the case can contact GMP directly on 0161 856 3015.
A second teenager has been arrested on suspicion of murder following the tragic stabbing death of a 14-year-old boy on Friday.
Nathaniel Shani was found by emergency services in Tavistock Square, Manchester, at 6.05pm after suffering a knife wound. He was taken to hospital but later died.
While police had already arrested a 14-year-old boy on suspicion of murder, a 13-year-old has since been arrested on the same charges.
While an official murder investigation is underway, officers shared the touching words of Nathaniel’s loved ones who “never failed to make people laugh”.
A statement read: “Nathaniel was the best friend of many, he never failed to make people laugh. Nathaniel was very kind, caring and always thinking of others.
Nathaniel Shani (pictured) has been described as “very kind, caring and always thinking of others”.
A 14-year-old boy died after being stabbed in north Manchester on Friday
“He was polite and the most loving person. He would always prioritize others without thinking about it. He was an amazing brother and son to his parents and siblings.
“Our hearts are broken. Rest in heaven for the kindest soul.
Officers are now appealing to the public who may have been in the area when the incident took place.
Police also said Nathaniel’s family are currently being supported by family liaison officers and have asked for privacy while they grieve.
“This incident which sadly saw a young boy die has understandably shaken the local community of Harpurhey,” Detective Superintendent Rebecca Boyce said.
“The Force and I would like to send our condolences to Nathaniel’s loved ones and we will continue to support them during this sad time.
“We would now like to appeal to the local community for any eyewitness accounts or footage of activity that we could link to this investigation.”
“It is crucial that we have as much detail as possible to help piece together what happened during this tragic incident in which someone sadly lost their life.”
“We are keeping all available lines of inquiry open, but no matter how small, your information may be the crucial evidence we need to assist us in this investigation.”
Anyone with information can contact Greater Manchester Police’s Major Incident Team on 0161 856 3015.
They can also call 101 quoting incident number 2843 of 15/09/2023 or via the independent charity – Crimestoppers – on 0800 555 111.
The arrested boy is in custody for further questioning.
Police also said a Section 60 authority, which began at 8.26pm on Friday, will last for 24 hours, meaning police will be able to stop and search people in an area covering parts of the suburbs from Monsall and Harpurhey to the north of Manchester.
Detective Superintendent Phil Key said: “Firstly, I would like to share my deepest sympathies with the family at this incredibly difficult time.
“A Section 60 authority has been put in place which will operate for 24 hours and end at 8.26pm this evening. We have taken this course of action to ensure the safety of the public who live and work near the incident. “
He continued: “We understand that the use of section 60 may cause concern for local residents; however, we only use these powers when proportionate and necessary.
“By enforcing Section 60 in the area, we will work to minimize any violent behavior and prevent any further serious incidents, as our main priority is to keep the public safe.”